Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mikemurphy000

no boot.ini to edit

My comp dosent have a boot.ini file at all to edit. I want to remove a XP reference from what would normally be the boot.ini file so now what do i do?

How many drives/partitions do you have ?!?

It will be on the first physical drive and the first partition of that drive. Because you can install NT/2K/XP on a drive other then the first one, it will only be located on that first partition wink

Also it may have it's Hidden attribute set so be sure to set explorer to view all files.

type this

start>run [press enter]

notepad c:\boot.ini

mke changes and save away. be careful in here. Yo have been warned smile

well, depending on if you have XP or 2k, I would assume 2k as there is a graphical way to get at the boot.ini in XP.

Nonetheless, in either OS, go to folder options, on the view tab, uncheck hide protected operating system files and it should now be visible. (It also might be read only so you will have to uncheck that on the file first.)

So I followed the notepad/boot.ini in run, go dude, but now that im editing away it wont let me save the changes! says the file already exists, read only. Heck Ive got the show hidden files and I still cant see the dang thing. So Now what do I do, MIKE!-)

boot.ini is not just a hidden, read-only file, it's also a system file. These are hidden in Explorer for obvious reasons.

Quickest way to unhide it is to start a command prompt (Start Menu->Run, type cmd & click OK)

Make sure you're in c:\ then type:

Code:
attrib -s -h -r boot.ini

The file will then show up in Explorer, and you can edit and save to your heart's content!

Once you've finished editing, though, I would reset the attributes - just to avoid accidentally deleting the file!

Code:
attrib +s +h +r boot.ini

Rgds

AndyF

Well after checking my view files setting i discovered that id checked view files but not system files. Well once that was done I could change the properties and then edit away. I had some problems with the default windows setting but discovered that changing it from windows to winnteng(the folder name of win2000) was better than deleting the line altogether. Thanks all for your help, regards, mike.!!