Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mikemurphy000

startup hassle

One day when I was bored I found the boot file which allows you to choose what platform to launch within a time frame or select f8. Well I have two platforms, one in english (win2000) and a version of it in russian for my wife. The problem is that I used to have XP on there and it still prompts me for it after I deleted it. Well I dont want it too, but Ive forgotten the file name. and ive one second to choose or it tries to find the missing XP, bums out and starts rebooting all over as its first choice is the missing XP. I dont want to format my HD and reinstall all over again so whats that files name. I remember editing the time frame in it allowing me how long I have to choose a platform before automatically choosing the first highlited choice.

Use notepad and open the filename BOOT.INI

You should then be able to edit out the XP entry altogether wink

I figured the boot.ini too but i dont have a file by that neame on the computer anywhere, maybe its the default and there is a backup?

If you get logged onto your computer you could right click on My Computer, goto properties, then goto the advanced tab.

Click "Settings" under the Startup and Recovery section.

Then you can click the "Edit" button and edit your boot.ini.

If you can't login you can find the file in C:\boot.ini

It is marked as a hidden file and it is marked as a system file.