Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Budious

Audigy 2 Platnium in MDK 9.0

Just how different is the Audigy2 from the Audigy1 in terms of basic functionality? I know the A2 has the extra stuff like DVD-Audio and THX but if it's similar to the A1 in terms of basic sound reproduction then you might be able to get away with just loading the emu10k1 SBLive/Audigy1's. I'm not familiar with the ALSA sound drivers that Mandrake uses but if you can manually select your sound card in ML type try selecting an Audigy1 model and see what happens, it shouldn't do any harm. If it doesn't then you may be out of luck, at least for the time being, as I just had a quick look at the ALSA site and they don't mention the A2.

They have different DSP procs, which is enough of an issue to allow support for one while not supporting the other. ALSA is really close though, if not already there, to supporting it.

EDIT: I was using the Audigy 1 platnium instructions and probably reason this did not work, there are not documents for any Audigy 2 support so I assume ALSA does not support it yet.

Got a quick questions about ALSA installation.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc...;module=emu10k1

I was following the instructions this page, however when I get down to the part about modprobe snd-emu10k1;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o failed

modprobe: insmod snd-emu10k1 failed

This part of the installation seems to fail, Im quite the linux novice so any suggestions about how to get it working at this point?

If you make sure plug and play is off in your bios settings, it should load. Note that you will proabably only be able to hear sound through the headphone out for now.

Plug and Play is already set to NO in the BIOS, still no load. The rest of my hardware is as follows if this helps:

AMD +2200

Asus A7V333 (BIOS 1012)

512MB Corsair XMS pc2700

MSI GF3

Audigy 2 Platnium (PCI 3)

Intel 100 M Desktop Pro NIC (PCI 4)

45GB Win2K

30GB Linux

52x Lite-On CD

2410a Plextor

I downloaded the file from the creative/opensource website, but I dont know what to do with it... how do I recompile the Kernel?

I've used windoze for 14 years, but I am new to linux.

My distro is MDK 9.1, with KDE 3.1.

Thanks for any assistace,

Nick M. Rahl