Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
w11z

home network win2000 server

Hello everyone! Here goes!

I want to simulate an network to practice Client/Server computing. One computer (called Server1) has Win 2000 server and the other computer (called Client1) has Win XP. Now, Server1 is set up has a domain controller. I gave it the IP address : 10.0.0.1

I connected the 2 computers with a crossover cable (no access to internet). Server1 does not recognize any connection (an red X on the network icon) but Client1 can see the Web page on Server1 (IIS is working fine). How do I set up Server1 so it can give client1 an IP automatically (using DHCP) ? Why can't the 2 computers communicate (except for the web server)?

If I add a router and give Server1 access to the Internet? Can Server1 continue to be a domain controller??

You understand that I'm very new at networking and can't seem to find a good tutorial for my particular setup.

Thanks!

Sounds to me that u havent gone through the configuring server properly that appears at starup when u first login after installation of windows 2000 server.

Go to the active directy domains and controllers, check to see if the domain is actually installed properly. If not you might have only just set it up as only a workgroup.

Other infoirmation would be useful:

1.Can the computer with Windows XP logon to the domain or is it logon locally? Chances are the setup on XP pro is configured wrong.

E-Mail me with a few screenshots of both Win2000Server and XP and circile where the problem is, explain to me what steps u went through to set up the domain as I have WinServer 2000 at home and it seems to be working finie with a server to client.

For one it sounds like your motherboard has builin in nic and you also installed one; one is getting reported as eing unplugged the other is working fine. It could not hav ethe red x icon in corner and still serve the webpage, it would not be possible for that to happen without a second unplugged nic.

1) is it a DNS server

2) is it a dhcp server

3) is your DHCP server set to give out your local DNS server address? (The win2k server)

4) if it is a dhcp server is the dhcp server authorized?

5) did the client join the domain successfully?

6) Can you ping the server?

7) Are you positive it is a domian contro0ller, you ran DCpromo and it completed successfully?

Thank you both, I realize that I've got some serious reading to do before understanding how to set up a server. I have succeeded in making both computers talk to each other but that was done without knowing exactly what I was doing. I will read more on servers, DHCP, DNS, etc.

Thanks Again.