Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

2 network cards?

a short time ago i rebuilt my computer with a new motherboard. when putting it back together without thinking that there was already a NIC onboard !

So as it is in there i was wondering if there was anyway i could use it? my puter is running xp on a home network that is sharing broadband, oh and i am about 2mtrs away from the switching hub so running another cable is certainly not a prob !

any suggestions and how to's would be much appreciated

thanks all

You could bridge the connections but broadband uses only a fraction of the nic's bandwith so I doubt it would change anything.

What I use my two NIC's for is one has a static IP dedicated to my FTP server connections and the other is grabbing an IP via DHCP on my firewall.

The only reason I do this is so I can more easily monitor packets on the dedicated NIC for the FTP traffic, nothing more. It really isnt making any difference in my overall speed wink

nope - no reason at all if your not running some massive file server or something that is maxing out your NIC's bandwidth.

great thanks anyway! I was just thinking if there was a use for it but didnt know so i thought id ask the proffessionals !

Guess i will pull it out then !

smile