Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hipshot

LAN speeds and SATA on KT600, compared to any other chipset

Hmm, as everybody knows, the IDE-bus goes through the PCI subsystem, but the SATA on the KT600 is native and goes direct to the southchipset. Normaly when you are on a LAN and your friend copies a very large file from you, the system is getting slow, cause, I think the network card, which also goes though the PCI slows the HDD, as they are limited to the same bandwidth. But in the same situation, I would use a SATA drive, connected to the native SATA on the KT600 board, I suppose I wouldent get the same slowdown? True or False?

Hope you understood what I tried to say. Im not very good at english.

I'd say false. The biggest slowdown on my computer when somebody copies a big file from me is the firewall. It uses 80% of my cpu time. And both the nic and the hdd are no match for the pci bus. The nic can't go beyond 8MB/s except if you have gigabit lan.

I have a sata capable mobo but no sata drives, maybe someone else could test this.

Ok, but Im not talking firewall here, just plain old LAN with some friends and no security wink Also im pretty sure I've seen speeds faster than 8 on my NIC, cause 100Mbit would be 12.5 MB as a peak, when I was on Dreamhack (Major LAN (5000 people) in sweden) I had numbers on like 10-11MB/s.

You must agree that there is a sagnifient slowdown when somebody copies from you, right? And I suppose this is because all HDDs, system and then the NIC on top of this is using the PCI bus, the PCI bus is capable of 33mhz, 133MB/s (I think) but since a normal (P)ATA drive today only can read/write from 24-55MB/s the NIC would use a bit from that, then the system and so on, all this would slow down the system pretty much, and this is also why when using a 10Mbit NIC the system isnt getting slow, cause they peak at ~1MB/s, that is very slow.

This is just what I think, since I havent got my KT600 or my Western Digital Raptor, I cant test it, and maybe I have wrong Im no expert, but I build alot of computers and have a good general knowledge so the ide cant be totaly crazy wink

The lan bandwidth + the hard drive bandwidth + everything else on the PCI son't be close to full, even when doing a highres video capture on a pci card, you still have plenty of room. nothing is fast enough to tax it. If a pci card didnt do bus mastering right and was making your cpu wait alot, then in theory it could slow it down. In practice thugh, it should not.

Quote:
The lan bandwidth + the hard drive bandwidth + everything else on the PCI son't be close to full, even when doing a highres video capture on a pci card, you still have plenty of room. nothing is fast enough to tax it. If a pci card didnt do bus mastering right and was making your cpu wait alot, then in theory it could slow it down. In practice thugh, it should not.

Still I dont know why the 10Mbit nic dont slows the computer, when the 100 does...

set your nic to the proper speed instead of "auto negotiate" see if that helps.

could just be a bad or cheap nic card u go.