Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
s0l1d

"An unexpected error occured."

When I right-click on "Local Area Connection" in "Network Connections" and choose Properties, I get pop-up error saying that "An unexpected error occured." I clearly remember that I did not have this error message two weeks ago. I have no idea what caused this and right now I have no way of getting into the Properties of any "Network Connections" items.

Also, my computer NetBIOS name all of a sudden changed to "MININT-7AC4M2", something strangely different. I didn't notice it until I tried to transfer couple of files to my bro's computer on a LAN. However, this NetBIOS thing and the "An unexpected error occured." message started to appear around the same time, so I'm not sure if they could be related problems.

Does anyone know what kind of problem is it and how to fix it so I can view the Properties of the "Network Connections" items?

Note:

I'm running WinXP w/ SP1, and my network card is D-Link DFE-530TX (which I can get into the device's Properties from Device Manager). I also have two "1394 Connection" listed in "Network Connections" from the two IEEE1394/Firewire ports that I have, and their Properties don't work either.

Solid

Try removing the network card and firewire first from the device manager and reboot, if still the same error occures try to remove the network card phisically from your computer.

Tomay:

I tried removing the network card and two firewire devices from device manager. However, it popped out this message:

networkerr2.jpg

Though after clicking OK, the device was removed anyway (or at least from the device manager list). After reboot, as it detected the same three devices and tries to install drivers to each one, it popped out this error message:

networkerr1.jpg

I could try removing the network card physically, but the firewire ports are builtin the motherboard. But still, I don't think it would make any difference when I reinstall the card and it'll show the same error when installing its driver.

Does anyone have any idea what is the problem [and the NetBIOS thing I described in my original message of this thread] and how to solve it without reinstalling Windows???

Solid

try to update the driver from your orginal cd or download the latest driver from D-link site.