Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tsonta101

Different upgrade paths...

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my ageing machine. I have made up my mind (or so I think :S, hehe). This is a three-fold question.

1. Gigabyte 8IK1100 mobo. That is going to be my choice for various reasons. I was wondering if anyone of you out there owns one, so that you could tell me any troubles/cool things you've experienced with it. Also...

2. Does the 2.6 or the 2.8 Pentium 4 overclock higher? If you own (and even if you don't) the above mentioned board, how high have you overclocked your P4 2.6/2.8? Moreover, I am planning on using the stock Intel HSF, not a third party HSF or watercooling. And lastly...

3. The mobo has 6 DIMM slots and I am getting 1Gb or PC3200 RAM (the choices I have here are Samsung generic and Generic generic :(). Should I get 4x256 or 2x512?

Thanks for all you input, people.

Quote:
... but you'll have a higher FSB if you use the 2.6.

Yes, that is obvious. In some reviews that I have seen for the 8IK1100 (albeit with a 2.4GHz P4), it managed to pull around 253 to 255 FSB. With a 2.4 P4 that would equate to 3.06 at most. So, what I am really asking is will a 2.6 run at 3.31 (13x255) and a 2.8 at 3.57 (14x255) -- ok, maybe not that high, but is there anyother limiting factor, that would not allow the 2.6 and 2.8 chips to reach those speeds?

thanks smile

the 2.4 is the sweet chip and alwyas has been for the 2.4 (a,b,c) - the 2.6 and 2.8 o/c well - around 3.1 average - the 2.4 however are the ones that u can hit 3.5 with the right parts and cooling on average 3.2ghz and above often on stock cooling and voltage/

Also 1 stick of ram overclocks better then anything - but if u want dual channel.

also - it is better to get dual 512 then quad 256's.