Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

That's It Getting a MAC!!!

I had a nice setup: AMD XP 3200+ MSI nForce2 with dual channel SB Live 5.1, MSI Capture Card, 1GB DDR 400 CL2, GeForce4 Ti 128MB. One day i got this deal in the email. Intel purchase program, Boxed P4 3.06C, Boxed Intel D856GRH dual channel, sata, motherboard and Windows XP Pro for $299! laugh

So i get the setup and upgrade my current box. At first I was very pleased with the performance. But now I am getting all sorts of weird anomalies, crashes, lags, program f^ck ups etc.

This is with: A fresh install of XP, all the windows updates, most current bios, MScertified video, sound, and capture drivers...Most recent versions and service packs of the absolute latest programs out there! I have tested my memory, passed. I have tested my drives, video card, capture card and power supply...alll pass. I have installed XP several times on 3 different drives with 2 different video cards and NONE of the onboard devices enabled. Still same issues. I even put in a different CPU. The MB doesn't seem to show any issues but i swapped it anyway. I am tired...I played the upgrade games, the AMD is better than Intel game and now I am just tired of it.... This is my 3rd attempt at a good Intel Box....

So after using AMD for 8 years and Intel for 3 ...I can say that they BOTH suck! I am getting a MAC. Or can someone give me a reason why my 3rd experience with Intel is still a sour one... And talk me out of the MAC...

HA HAAH AHAH AHAH I knew someone would say that!!!!! laugh It was a kick a$$ deal! My wife now has my old rig, she is giving me the evil eye like she knows what's going on, lol...

I have a Mac and like it. It has a certain charm to it that you really can't describe. Farfugnugen (remember those commercials?)if you will.

If you're serious about spending that kind of money though go put your hands on one first. http://www.apple.com/retail/ Only you'll know if you like it or not.

I have already priced out a G5, not the dual, but with 1GB DDR and 2x250GB drives for about $4,300 it will take me a year but by then it will be around $2700. I mainly edit video. The rest I can simply do on a PC. I am just tired of trying to build a PC video editor that keeps giving me sh*t.

I won't support a company that wont sell you a cpu or a motherboard. Apple's policies are rediculous. They cut supplies off from companies that sell their hardware. It ain't right.

Well if you were serious about video editing I think you should have purchased an Amiga Video Toaster system laugh

No, I'm not crazy, just one of those old coots that still runs his Amiga's on a daily basis along with a couple of MAC clones and PC's :x

The G5s are very cool, but they are a worse monopoly than MS ever was. They lock up the school systems and you can only get both hardware and software from them, and they don't really believe in making the hardware upgradable, nor allowing for OS upgrades on older hardware (although I believe that is changing with the IBM-based hardware). They're as bad as Sun. The upshot is that the cost of everything from them is coming down as their quality becomes greater and more consistent thanks to their split from Motorola (not that Motorola is bad, they just weren't all that motivated for Apple).

I have a 1GHz powerbook and I really like it. Computationally it is quite a bit slower then my XP2100 desktop but I still really like it.

It has all the advantages of using a unix/linux machine without all the hardware hell. It's cake to download and install open source applications to run in X with fink.

There are little things that bug me though. Like the lack of a right mouse button and preinstalled apple-scripts that don't work.

Overall I am very pleased with it. At the moment, I plan on sticking with X86 on the Desktop and Apple for the laptop.

As for upgrading hardware, you can do it through third-party companies.

Quote:
The G5s are very cool, but they are a worse monopoly than MS ever was. They lock up the school systems and you can only get both hardware and software from them, and they don't really believe in making the hardware upgradable, nor allowing for OS upgrades on older hardware (although I believe that is changing with the IBM-based hardware). They're as bad as Sun. The upshot is that the cost of everything from them is coming down as their quality becomes greater and more consistent thanks to their split from Motorola (not that Motorola is bad, they just weren't all that motivated for Apple).

I agree with Cluth on this one

The G5's are good machines, but MAC are terribly expensive for the high end ones.

Cyber you have some bad luck bro laugh

Go Mac...think different...lol

Seriously though, Macs are alright, but I am a PC man. I do like the Mac interface and Mac OS X is great. Doing image editing, scanning, and even some games, they run great on Mac...

well if u dont mind now being able to upgrade your cpu - go nuts!

this deal u got - who was the email from? was it a legit deal or some company selling crap refurb'd mobos

i have never had such bad experiences as you and i have ahd my hands on so many colmpuetrs i can not recall!

i think your justr cursed.

Also - get an SGI work station smile and run a REAL version of UNIX smile

The deal was directly from INTEL. My machine seems to be working fine now, as long as i don't use anything. HAHA AHA AHAHA

yup and funny as can be! i love how even pro MAC users bash their own system,s smile but i bet you that any otehr "MAC" user would blow that off and say "that is a pc user blah blah blah"