Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tonycrew

How dya speed old games up..?

Hi i was wondering if anyone knew how to speed old games up.

I have Need for speed 2 SE and it runs on XP (With Compatability) but at a very low frame rate.

This is the same for some other games i have.. TIA

There is dosbox

But there is an OLD COMPUTER.

Best way is to get an old comp with win98. Win xp just don't support some games period!

Glad you made it out this way too, TC wink

As for the issue, pretty much what tomay said, if you're hurting for space then a virtual machine app like dosbox or even the new Virtual PC 2004 edition trial from Microsoft.

I'm going to try it out and see what it does as far as some old dos games are concerned...

This is why I like to have a few extra boxes and parts lying around for this very purpose laugh

If you play several games of that era, invest in a 3DFX card. I love my Voodoo2's in SLI smile

3DFX was the most advanced hardware manufacturer, way ahead of it's time. Afterall, they did invent the best thing to ever hit the gaming industry, Glide? OpenGL meaning Open-source GLide? ANYWAY, with my Voodoo 2's in SLI (two voodoo 2's working together), overclocked with extra fans (three on each!), i can run Quake 3 at 1024x768 at 60fps! Not that i'd want to though......

It's good for games like NFSIISE (thats the 3dfx version), Quake, Quake II, Turok, and other games of that time. Many of them had native 3DFX support.

Speaking of DosBox and Windows....

A couple of weeks ago we got Win 3.1 and Dosbox to work together. Just got networking working a couple of days ago. Performance isn't there yet and there are still a couple of issues but eventually Win 3.x will be running great and so will all those old Win 3.x games! (Dunno about Win32 yet..haven't tried it yet)