Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shkj

getting hyperthreading to work

I was wondering I am upgrading from a P4 2.4 533mhz to a 3.06ghz with hyperthreading,I have been told that I must re-install my entire OS from scratch to get hypthreading working properly

in Windows XP. I am told it is a different kernel?? my board is an Asus P4PE and it does support HT.

What is the correct way to get HT working with XP ???

thanks for your help....Stu please e-mail me at

shkj2@comcast.net

Easy peezy that is. here how to do it.

1) make sure HT is enabled in bios. Dont worry, windows will still boot, but only see 1 cpu.

Goto device manager>computer. Uograde the driver for "ACPI uniprocessor pc" force the driver for "ACPI multiprocessor PC"

Note that this may cause issues, but on my motherboard it worked fine, so give it a shot, nothing to lose in trying. After you reboot windows will freak out and find all your hardware again, so have your drivers handy just in case.

Most of the time this works just fine.

If you run into problems doing it that way though, do a reinstall of the OS and remember to enable Hyperthreading in your PC BIOS.

If I may just tell you of the method I used when I upgraded from a 2.53Ghz P4 to a 3.06Ghz one a few months ago:

1. Install new CPU

2. Go into BIOS and make sure HT is enabled. It should be by default but it is worth checking.

3. Boot into Windows XP.

4. Wait approx. 10-15 seconds

5. When the "Your new hardware is installed, please reboot" message appears do as you are told

6. After reboot your new CPU will be recognised as 2 - HT is now working.

No reinstallation of OS required, no user intervention required at all.

Let WinXP do the job for you!