Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
prime2004

long delay between logon and explorer start in XP

Hi,

Not sure if this question fits in this category best so please move it if there is more appropriate place for it:

I am experiencing a problem that I didn't have before -

- long delay in system startup of Windows XP Pro SP1.

I have ran bootvis to check and I have determined that I

have long delay (>5 sec) between logon+services end and

explorer start during which the CPU and disk activity is

~0% (computer is practicaly idle like it is waiting for something).

All programs from startup are launched after explorer so

they cannot be the source of this. It is either some

service or driver. How can I log startup in more details

(/bootlog does not list times in the log file)? How to

figure out what causes this delay? Any suggestion will be

much appreciated. Thanks.

55 views and not a single reply? Hm, perhaps I really have a problem here. Just disabled all services except those needed for proper system functioning and it still happens.

I don't know especially whats your problem but maybe its network related? Like the network card waiting for an IP adress from a DHCP server but can't reach one? That may cause delays in startup but im not sure when they appear (IP adress waiting should appear before the logon).

Does the windows "Event viewer" tell you anything else about this problem? Like any events marked with a yellow "!" or a red "x" at startup time?

Could there be somethng in the registry?

HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

HKCU/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

Did you try to run the system in sos mode or confirm steps

In boot.ini add /sos switch after the /fastdetect

hmmm

are u logging into a network?

there is a setting in group policy/admin templates/system/logon

"always wait for the network..." u might try that

@Visceroid:

# but maybe its network related?

No, no network card (gigabit LAN but disabled in BIOS), using dial-up.

# Does the windows "Event viewer" tell you anything else about this problem?

It says:

[x] EventSystem:

"The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error."

COM+ services (and all related services) are disabled I don't use any applications that need it.

[x] VSS:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206."

However, this is strange. I don't use any backup utilities, nor I use system restore which is also disabled.

[x] DCOM:

"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

"

These are the only 3 messages with red cross. Most of the unneeded services are disabled. All programs work normaly. As I said delay is before explorer and before any programs under "run" key or from "startup" folder.

@Tomay:

# Did you try to run the system in sos mode or confirm steps

I didn't and I will thanks.

@Jerry:

# are u logging into a network?

No, single computer, single user admin priviledges with autologin enabled.

# "always wait for the network..."

Says not configured and I am not part of a domain, what is default then?

I will try to disable it anyway.

Thanks, guys I will let you know if I get anywhere with your tips.

Please comment on those errors if you can.

Quote:
P.S.=> Good point Jerry! apk

it was a guess, we have the crappiest lagiest lamest network, so i had to search that one out awhile ago.

i work in the stone ages here... :x

Disabling "always wait for network..." didn't help. /sos booted without any confirmation prompts. I have made some screenshots from bootvis for you to see what is going on, it really drives me nuts:

http://fire.prohosting.com/hotemina/images/delay_1.gif

http://fire.prohosting.com/hotemina/images/delay_2.gif

Without USB 2.0 hub, USB CD ROM, USB keyboard and USB mouse:

http://fire.prohosting.com/hotemina/images/delay_1_nousb.gif

http://fire.prohosting.com/hotemina/images/delay_2_nousb.gif

A friend of mine has the similar problem (long delay before explorer starts) on office machine and on laptop at home. Not a virus, he checked it. Only thing in common on all three computers is recently installed Office 2003. Any ideas?

all those links come in 404 for me.

that office 2003 is important i think. we may have a station here running it, ill check it out and see.

maybe the office start or a problem with outlook

Sorry about the links, they work if you copy and paste into a new browser window. I don't have web space of my own so I had to use free hosting.

One thing to add, I haven't installed outlook, just word and excel.

Beats me, thats why I am asking you people, please any ideas how to do a more detailed trace of boot procedure??

I was poking around in MSCONFIG (having the same problem) and noticed CTFMON.exe is getting loaded. I thought it was a windows file, but as it turns out it's an Office 2003 speech engine that preloads with Windows. Upon killing it, my issue was improved, althoguh not resolved outright.

So this was a Vidio driver issue? I have seen this problem before.

It was due to an improper dsl configuration setting on a linksys router. The response with "waiting for an IP" hit it right on the money. You can bypass this problem by staticly entering the ip on the machine if using a router and private IP. Just a thounght for those who may have a similar issue that is not Video Driver related.

So this was a Vidio driver issue? I have seen this problem before.

It was due to an improper dsl configuration setting on a linksys router. The response with "waiting for an IP" hit it right on the money. You can bypass this problem by staticly entering the ip on the machine if using a router and private IP. Just a thounght for those who may have a similar issue that is not Video Driver related.

Wow! I just shaved well over a minute off the time between login and start-button available by getting rid of all the xp office 'Alternative Input' 'features'.

Searched for ctfmon.exe and found information and instructions @ microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599

Ctfmon remains, but boot time is much improved.

This is an XP sp2 workstation that is part of a Windows 2000 Domain. Thanks.