Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Copernicus

Your thoughts: Most stressful cities in America

I think is something we discuss sence lots of stress is dangerus to your health. Somehow caffine seems to help alot on the stess(I try to keep a tin of penguin mints onhand as often as I can).

Seattle

Weather and traffic is awful

Not a good place for A Conservative to live either laugh

On the other hand Honolulu, is about as stress free as it gets.

I say PDX, but I do admit the traffic in Seattle is worse wink

However we combat the stress by having more micro-brews then anybody laugh

I however think Hilo would be a better stress free city then Honolulu, unless of course you had property in the queens bath area :x

I think that makes sence. I see Austin as fairly stressful city as opposed to San Antonio(Half the size and more stressful). Montgomery County,MD is a really bad place for a converative either. Of course, the South,West, and East Sides of San Antonio are full of odd thinking people and strange Democratic Reps(My Congreesman has a huge nose and sees to vote every time opposite of what I would vote). I really wish that Frank Tejada would come back from the dead and run again.

Quote:
Seattle

Weather and traffic is awful

Not a good place for A Conservative to live either laugh

On the other hand Honolulu, is about as stress free as it gets.

They both look bad to me. Hilo is a nice little city and on the only one of the Larger islands in the Hawaiian island chain that I'd want to live on.

Quote:
I say PDX, but I do admit the traffic in Seattle is worse wink

However we combat the stress by having more micro-brews then anybody laugh

I however think Hilo would be a better stress free city then Honolulu, unless of course you had property in the queens bath area :x

I'd prefer to Live on maui or the BIg Island, but my wife is stationed here laugh

I lived In Austin as well. It was nice. I miss 6th street, actually Waikiki on Friday Night reminds me of 6th Street

I only drive to Austin most of the time to get to work( Dell Parmer North 1, and 2). That's a 90+ mile trip one-way from my house here in San Antonio.

Quote:
I'd prefer to Live on maui or the BIg Island, but my wife is stationed here laugh

I lived In Austin as well. It was nice. I miss 6th street, actually Waikiki on Friday Night reminds me of 6th Street

The Washington/NY corridor is a madhouse anyway. I've never been north of Philly(went there when I was 5) and have been on the East coast sence 1985(when I was only 7 almost 8 years old).

Quote:
N.Y. City, where I am nearby now & have to deal with periodically...

* I have never seen anything QUITE like it & have seen many LARGE cities like Atlanta, Mobile, & others in my time for years @ a time in them.

Driving's madness here, & for all the people in it, at least during business hours, it is a madhouse on the street.

(Truly it is the "city that never sleeps" & if anything would lead to stress...? It's that... the subway is the madness you hear about for sure! BUT, I do like the train however... as long as you are not in a hurry!)

smile

APK

I know you guys are mostly American, but here in Canada, Toronto is a nightmare for driving around during rush hour, especially downtown. My girlfriend and I went to the Royal Ontario Museum in downtown Toronto, it took us an hour to get out of downtown and then another 1.5 hours out of the city, we only live an hour away from Toronto too. Geeze. Highway 401 is the highway in Ontario but in and around the metro area of Toronto is just nuts.

Well if takes an hour to get out of downtown, you have to ask why are these streets laid out so poorly. BTW, how are you Canadians handling the faster speed limits here in US?

Quote:
I know you guys are mostly American, but here in Canada, Toronto is a nightmare for driving around during rush hour, especially downtown. My girlfriend and I went to the Royal Ontario Museum in downtown Toronto, it took us an hour to get out of downtown and then another 1.5 hours out of the city, we only live an hour away from Toronto too. Geeze. Highway 401 is the highway in Ontario but in and around the metro area of Toronto is just nuts.

I guess it's a byproduct of increasing demand. Oh well, it's bad for those who live in areas with less space( East Coast). Here in Texas, getting a job might be harder in Some Citites, but others like San Antonio and Austin have had a increase in Job production. Cost of living can be higher if you live in area where people are making more. I've traveled more for in the last 1 1/2 months for this job than I traveled for any other job I've had.(90+ miles one-way every day).

Quote:
Well if takes an hour to get out of downtown, you have to ask why are these streets laid out so poorly. BTW, how are you Canadians handling the faster speed limits here in US?

Speed limits here in Canada are ok, no one really complains about them since most people drive faster anyways smile

Highways are 100 km/h
City streets are 50 km/h
Country roads are 80 km/h
and of course major streets and mini-highways are between 60-70km/h

Toronto has too many stoplights, every 5 seconds of driving you encounter another light. Its just ridiculous, plus the streets are very long in Toronto, I think Yonge St. in Tornoto is the largest street in North America.

By the way, I am curious what are the speed limits in the US? and does it vary from state to state?

Phoenix, AZ - We have just as many retirees as Florida. And NONE of them can drive to save their lives!!!! It is always hot as hell in the summer and just cold enough in the winter. Our Governors always suck or are corrupt. Our football team and basketball team suck a$$. You are allowed to carry a gun just about anywhere.. Crime is up, education and jobs are down. :x

I see you would rather to live here in San Antonio, but unfourtunally we have drivers that can't drive in the rain, and we get more than you do in Phoenix. Of well, it couldn't be any worse that Eagle Pass or some city on the Rio Grande.

Quote:
By the way, I am curious what are the speed limits in the US? and does it vary from state to state?

Pmistry,

The speed limit varies from state to state. President Clinton repealed the Federal highway limit in 1995, and allowed states to set their own limits.

I live in Iowa. In the country 2 lane roads are generally 55 mph, 4 lane highways and interstates are either 55 or 65 mph. In urban areas, 4 lane interstates are generally 55 mph, but they may be lower in some spots. 4 lane highways are usually anywhere from 35 to 55 mph. Other city streets are usually anywhere from 20 to 55 mph - main city streets are 35 or 45 mph. The lowa legislature had considered raising the limits on interstates, but hasn't done so.

Other states generally follow the same rules with all their roads, with the exception of interstate highways. Missouri is the only state I know of that has a limit of 60 mph on some 2 land roads in the country. As far as I know, everyone else is 55 mph. For interstate highways some states set their limits at 70 mph, others set their limits at 75 mph - particularly in the western states. Montana experimented with the "reasonable and prudent" for a time - meaning there was no set limit other than what was best for the road and enviornmental conditions. After a couple years, Montana decided that "reasonable and prudent" wasn't working, and set their limits at 75 mph.

I drove through the southern part of Ontario back in 2001. For the most part I didn't have any trouble up in Canada. Though a couple times when the sign said 70 I had to remind myself, "they mean 70 kilometers per hour, not 70 miles per hour." When I seen the gas stations advertising 67 Canadian cents per liter, I thought at first that was a good deal until I realized that it took a little over three liters to equal one gallon. It took about $30 CDN to fill my tank. But by the time I took the exchange rate into consideration, it came out to be $18 USD to fill up the tank from 1/4 tank, or about $1.50 a gallon.

Jesse