Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duhmez

Here's a tough one. XP pro+ nt4 domain weirdness

Here is the scoop. XP pro, user is in local admin group and normal user in the domain. Username is "FRED"

Logon script makes U: the fileshare for users. U:\fred is where fred keeps his files. In U:\FRED\My documents there seems to be synched date of sorts. The local my documents folder points to c:\documents and settings\fred.domain\my documents\ .

Now today in U:\fred\ My documents has renamed itself to "Administrator's documents"

I rename to "My documents" and it immediately in front of my eyes becomes "Administrator's documents"

In this folder used to be "My pictures" Which is now renamed to "Administrator's pictures"

All of fred's data is still intact however.

I rename U:\fred\Administrator's documents\ back to U:\fred\My documents\ on the server this time, and it accepts the change.

Note that I have logged onto this machine as both administrator and domain\administrator at different times for maintenance.

Other users seem unaffected by this quandry. Also, "Fred" says it just happened today; it wasn't like this this morning. Also today there was no software changes anywhere in the building.

Whatup? Is there something I am missing?

Machine is XP pro with Office XP and pretty much nothing else.

On Fred's machine... is the account he's using The Administrator's account, just renemed Fred?

[edit] Oh yea, is offline file caching enabled? [/edit]

The user is

domain\Fred . it is not a local account. It is in the local admin group of the machine however. Local administrator has not and does not access u:\fred

As for caching, its a default install of xp, with office XP defaulted t0o.

This drove me nuts for a long time.

If you show hidden files you will see a file called desktop.ini. If you open this you will see the name of the owner and another setting called PersonalizedName. When you are logged in with the owner account it will show the personalized name, otherwise it will say owner's documents.

Hopefully this helps.