Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dcxman

Windows 2003 AD does not recognize my domain controller?

Morning all.

I finished setting up my Windows 2003 Ent. Svr with AD. Everything went well with DNS setup prior to DCPROMO along with DCPROMO itself having no conflicts with DNS. I also did the AD intergration with my primary DNS zone which went well without a hitch. I ran into problems when I went into my AD and tried to get into the Group Policy settings. Every time I try to get into the GP tab I get an error popup informing me that the domain controller could not be found and gives me three other options in order to find a DC. I tried all three options with the same result being that it could not find my DC (and I'm accessing the AD on the DC itself). The funny thing is that when I go into the domain controller OU in the AD it lists my DC as being there. And when I try accessing the GP on the DC ou it gives me the same pop up with the DC could not be found. From the command prompt I can ping my own DC and the domain using their names, all of which ping properly. The NSLOOKUP has no problem as well recognizing my DC as the default server as well.

Much appreciated in advance for any help either way.

Thanks again

Just for kicks try using gpupdate then try again

I had problems with my GP not refreshing

I am assuming that you have more than one domain controller, and are merely joining a new DC to an existing 2003 AD. If that's the case, try setting the new DC's (the one with the connection issues) DNS entries (in TCP/IP properties) to point to the existing DDNS server in your AD. Make sure that the only entry in the properties is for the existing DC, and not for any other DNS servers. Next, either flush the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) or reboot the affected server. It should now request all DNS name resolution from the established DC. If this corrects the issues, then the new system has a misconfigured DDNS service (or the entire AD DNS setup is having issues, and might have corrupt/incorrect SRV entries). Let me know what happens when you get this far.

Just a thought. Make sure remote registry service is running via services tab.

i ran into similar issue trying to anage IIS with remote reg disabled.

Quote:
Just a thought. Make sure remote registry service is running via services tab.

i ran into similar issue trying to anage IIS with remote reg disabled.

That can also happen if the existing policy had permissions assigned to the winreg registry key, and there was no provision for the new "LOCAL SERVICE" account in Windows Server 2003. However, this will typically not affect replication, but will affect service and general system management (both local and remote).

Oh well.

I definitely need a kick in the head. I finally found out why my GP was inaccessible. Apparently I had turned off my "File and Printer Sharing" within my NIC settings not allowing access to the system share that you need in order to access the GPs. So eventhough my DNS setup had gone well without a hitch and DCPROMO had no issues with my DNS setting up AD, my GP was still totally down. I checked file and print share back on and voila!. HELLO GPs!

Thanks again all for helping out the doufus again.