Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

gearsec.exe

I am having some performance issues all of a sudden. Explorer is freezing quite often.

I noticed that I have a lot of extra processes running that weren't there several months ago.

Specifically, I have noticed gearsec.exe running.

In the services tab, it's listed as Gear Security: CDRW Support. When I right click it and go to properties, I get the following message, "Configuration Manager: The specified device instance does not correspond to a present device"

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Edit:

The last thing that I remember installing on this machine was iTunes. I do not use it to get on the net so I'm doubting spyware.

Well I guess I should have done some googling befoer I posted. Turns out that that gearsec.exe is one of the buttload of things iTunes installs and turns on by default without telling you.

I'm tempted to just have a second windows installation to put iTunes on so I can use my iPod.

Gearsec comes on all Windows Server 2003 boxes now, and I am pretty sure it has started showing up on XP as well. When we started testing 2003 en masse, we would get occasional errors about gearsec not starting. The application belongs to some company (I Googled it few months ago checking it out) and it appears the MS is licensing it for their OSs now.

Quote:
Gearsec comes on all Windows Server 2003 boxes now, and I am pretty sure it has started showing up on XP as well. When we started testing 2003 en masse, we would get occasional errors about gearsec not starting. The application belongs to some company (I Googled it few months ago checking it out) and it appears the MS is licensing it for their OSs now.

What exactly does it do? I am 99% certain that it was not on my machine before installing iTunes. iTunes installed a butt-load of stuff and turned them on by default. I assumed it was one of them. I have seen on several sites that iTunes needs gearsec.exe to have any access to a cdrw

It is on all of our test servers, and none of them have iTunes. Apparently, many applications are using GEAR Software's API in their applications:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/cfknowledgebase/articledisplay.cfm?articleid=52.

and GEAR is hearing about shutdown delays (amongst other issues, I imagine) on their forums:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/gearmegaboard/detail.cfm?threadparentid=682&boardid=4

They might have updated drivers to fix this, but I have not had the time nor inclination to check (I just disable it on the servers, and my XP box hasn't had much of an issue using iTunes).