Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arin

Sharing Violations....

I work for PennDot Photogrammetry and I am constantly editing, renaming, moving, and copying huge files on several different drives. Being that I work for the state, they have crazy and unreliable setups that make my job misrible. I get sharing violations 90% of the time I try to do anything. I dont know why either. Sometimes I will be editing a folder of files I've created yet I can only access and edit half of them while the other half I have to edit and store in some other folder as new files because I get sharing violations and destination file in use.... when its clearly NOT in use and its NOT violating anything!

Is there something I can do, or better yet, is there someting I can tell my admin to do so this doesnt happen all the time?

We are running windows 2000 on the machine I am working off of and we have NT, 2000 and XP here in the office. I guess really there isnt much I can do personally, the admin would have to do it. I dont know what could be running in the background, and actually, I'm sure nothing is because I can even restart and still have it tell me its open. Also, with the sharing violation, I'll have a folder with say, 20 images all created by someone else. For some reason I'll be able to edit and save over all of them except for 3 or 4 of them, which I just dont understand. smirk

When you get the error, try killing and restarting explorer.exe and see if it frees it up. Explorer could be hanging on thumbnail generation or some other aspect of file management, and thus claiming a sharing violation when you try to work with it.