Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EuriMouse

CPU Usage in Windows XP

I've noticed this very funny problem with my CPU usage in Windows XP.

I always keep hearing disk access noise in the background when no programs are open, even when the computer seems to be doing nothing at all. The noise sounds a little different from the actual access noise that you might expect to hear when accessing a program, for instance.

A process called System Idle Process is always taking 99% CPU usage, and I notice that when I get Windows Task Manager up the CPU usage seem to get dropped in the performance tab, yet the noise is still heard and the System Idle Process is still at 99%.

I also seem to have multiple process active under the processes tab; I have 30 processes currently running as I write this.

I have tried Adaware, Spybot and AntiVirus scan but nothing is detected. What could you suggest, if anyone can...?

EuriMouse smile

The system idle process does normally take up most of the CPU time, this is a normal function of XP. You'll notice that it takes up less CPU time when running other apps that require more wink

As for the extra sound you're hearing, does your machine happen to have an IBM/Hitachi HD installed ?!?

If so then this is also normal, it's part of their idle down/power management functions. It's really prevalent sounding on their SCSI HD's but I've heard the same noise from their Deskstar models as well...

No I don't have an IBM/Hitachi HD. I know that there is definitely something taking up my CPU, because I can see it on the performance tab of Windows Task Manager. Once that is up, I notice the CPU usage goes down... there is something very clever and odd about this...! If anyone can help, please do...

EuriMouse smile