Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Daymare! One do drive you nuts.

I just got off of a 2 hour tour that should've taken 30 minutes! And dog gonnit could someone fix the Subject to ...to drive you nuts and not "do". LOL

Here is the scenario: I had to deliver and install 3 new XP boxes to a office, on a network. Piece of friggin cake. Right? These 3 boxes replaced 2 W98 machines and 1 W2K machine. All the machines on the network get an IP via DHCP from an ActionTek DSL router. The router is uplinked to a 10/100 5 port hub and all the machines except 2 connect to the hub. The other 2 connect to the DSL router on 2 of its four 10/100 ports.

Here WAS/IS the problem: None of the new XP boxes would get an ip address from the DSL router! The other machines receive 192.168.x.x series, not the XP boxes. I installed /NetBios-IPX and NetBeui and still couldn't see any other machine (also running same protocols). I put a 98 or 2K box in that cubicle and it worked fine!!!! :x

Here is what I checked and KNOW: (1)The machines all were originally setup on a network, receiving the SAME series of IPs and WORKED. (2)The NICs all are set to DHCP and AUTOSensing media. I tried switching to 10 Full, 10 Half, 100 Full, 100 Half and Auto. (3)TCP/IP IS installed. (4)Qos is NOT installed. (5)ICS/Firewall is OFF (6)File Sharing is ON (7)User accounts match on all NT based machines (8)Simple File Sharing is ON (9)All users are logged in. (10)NetBios Helper is OFF

What the h@ll would cause this!!!!

How did I solve this problem?

Well, as any good technician will do, process of elimination or Glock19. So I quickly cut a new cable, tested it, and ran it directly to the hub, bypassing the wall run and jack. Guess what! It still didn't work!!! I about screamed! So now what? I plugged the cable directly into one of the open ports on the DSL router. IT WORKED!!!! HOLY F@CKING SH^T I THOUGHT I WAS going insane! So I rerouted the 3 new machines to the DSL router and the others to the hub and all were happy.

So what is the possible cause? I think the hub maybe too old and cannot or won't communicate with the NICs (nForce onboard 10/100).

What do you think. Heres the kicker, I got more machines to install there, guess they'll be buying a new switch.

I saw a few people with similar problems so this may help t-shoot!

Yeeeep, I'd say ditch the old hub and replace with a basic 8~16 port non-managed SOHO switch.

I personally don't like it when the xDSL/Cable Modem/Router provides the DHCP services. I prefer using a separate router, like from Linksys wink to do this instead.

But I bet if you completely eliminate that old hub you'll most likely be just fine, and I bet the the AUTO function will work too laugh

I had a similar incident with an Actiontec router a few months ago. An office had 3 computers plugged into it directly, addressing via dhcp.

This worked great for about a year. One day two of the three just stopped connecting to the internet.

The computer that continued to work, worked on all ports. The computers that stopped working would not work on any port. I plugged in my laptop and it wouldn't work either.

I called Qwest (the Actiontec is leased from them) told the tech support guy everything I'd done. He had me do a couple things just to make sure I wasn't smoking something and in the end overnighted us a new dsl modem/ router. All has been good since.

have had the same issue - some computers work fine in the hub, but one or 2 i have to plug right into the router!

like what the dilly YO!

smile