Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jeryg

USB port not detecting automatically devices

hi all,

i recently got myself an ACER Travelmate 800 LCi, which is a great machine. the centrino is truly a nice thing.

i installed win XP pro on it, but a few things seem not to be working...

the main thing is that the USB ports (4 of them all USB 2.0) dont seem to detect automatically the devices i attach to them. mouse, digital camera... none would be detected. everytime i have to reboot the pc. after that it works though.

it is my first laptop though, and i discovered that there is an option in the properties of the USB controlers which allow the computer to disable the port in order to save battery life. i unchecked this option and it still does the same but i think that might be connected somehow.

anyone has got a clue ?

also, if anyone owns the same laptop, i would be delighted to know how he managed to install the internal modem for i seem unable to do it, even with the drivers provided on the ACER website...

last thing, but this is a little strange : everytime i reboot my laptop, the setting which defines the number of lines to be scrolled when i use the wheel on my wheelmouse resets to 1! its not a hudge problem but its still quite annoying i like my wheel to scroll 4 or 6 lines at a time...

thanks for reading.

thanks for the tip but i already installed all of these... i dont understand why its not working though.

thanks for that answer... it seemed like a good idea indeed (although i didnt touch the services in windows since the installation).

i tryed to activate most of the services that were turned off and it didnt change a thing. the computer would not detect a digital camera or my mouse...

a friend of mine told me this could have something to do with the BIOS. there is generally an option to specify if the system detects PnP periphericals and all, but this BIOS version is very minimalistic.

i'll try to get an upgrade and get back to you.

in the meantime, if any of you think of something...

ok i tried with the latest BIOS but there are no new options in it...

any help is still welcome