Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
duhmez

MAJOR explorer bug, check this out(Reproducable)

This is tested and confirmed on winxp SP1, and windows 2000 service pack 4. Note tha I am referring to explorer, NOT internet explorer. Same problem when I save a page using mozilla..... . Do this. ON this page or any webpage, click file save as: web page complete.

Then you will have an html file and a folder, in my exmple the folder "NT Compatible_files"

Now, delete said folder.

Watch the parallel HTML file disappear too!

What's up with this!

Also, if you shift del the folder, the html gets shift deleted too!

This is not a bug, but a "feature". Explorer somehow gets told that those files are related when you save as html from IE.

To see evidence of this feature in action, try renaming the folder instead. Explorer will give you a nice little warning about how renaming the folder could break the html file...

Quote:
This is not a bug, but a "feature". Explorer somehow gets told that those files are related when you save as html from IE.

I thought of this too. So as a test, I tried it with saving from mozilla. Same result! This is not a *feature* I want around!
Why I found out about this: My brother was working on a webpage for work. After hours of work, and much editing, finally the folder only had 2 bmp ifles in it, and they were NOT needed for anything. Here comes the nasty part. He SHIFT+Deleted the folder, then BOOM the html got shift deleted too.

Off he ran and bought an undeleter for 50$ or somehitng, and got much of the work back(saved alot of hours) Homeboy was FUMING.

This happened last week. Now today, I see APK post of this great undeleter that's free. I showed him and LMAO @ him.

I know I sure as hell don't want my OS interface deciding for me which files should be deleted.................
Re: CHM I have used them too for video encoding guides ( www.doom9.org has the best ones ) but I am afraid of them being windows only, or microsoft only format. I would only want to use them if I can find out who owns the patent on them and if they are open source, or open standard. (You won't find any wmv files within 100 meters of my house for this reason)

Then go ahead and turn it off.

Get TweakUI from the power toys and under explorer, disable the manipulate connected files as a unit option.

As said before this is not a bug of Internet Explorer, but a setting under Folder Options. Scroll down to 'Managing Pairs Of Web Pages And Folders' and you have 3 options:

1. Show and manage the pair as a single file

2. Show both parts and manage them individually

3. Show both parts but manage as a single file

lastly, choose whatever is best for you. Default option is 1.

I too think this is a feature but it still sucks.

There should be a standard format like .mht that all browsers would support.

Why would this be a glitch? (did not read all responses yet)

you are deleting all the images and other files for the HTML file - they are associated - i think it is supposed to do this on purpose?

if u look at ANY web dir usually the extra files / downloads / images are in spearate folders so when you delete the folder, or the html it deletes the other.

Quote:
There should be a standard format like .mht that all browsers would support.

This actually is a published standard - there's an RFC doc on it here.