Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Azreal

Thinking about a Geforce FX 5900

What is the main difference between the 5900 and the 5900 XT there are pretty close in price. What is the disadvantage if I go with the 5900XT instead of the full blown 5900? I want Nvidia so please don't suggest ATI. Thank you

Well my question is I know in the 5950 the sopposedly corrected a few shader problems did those also get corrected in the newer 5900XT or are those problems still in the whole 5900 line and would I be better off with a 5700Ultra that has those corrections already.

Go with a Radeon card

Much better value at the moment

Or wait 3 months for Nvidias newest product line to come out

I'm not sure why you're against ATi, but they have the better DX9 implementation right now. The next GPU line might fix that, but we don't know yet. ATi has sucked in the past, but right now, they've got their act together.

Right now? ATI has been kicking Nvidia's arse since the 9700 came out. The way Nvidia has been acting I highly doubt they'll be able to recover in the nextgen. The 5950 is a couple of FPS faster than the 9800XT but the 9800 is still more feature rich than the 5950.

Another thing I've heard, and don't know if it's true or not, is that nVidia had their version of DX9, but MS didn't go with that, and nVidia based the GFFX's on their own DX9 version, not MS's. Thus the reason the GFFX's are showing such poor DX9 performance. I haven't done enough reading to really know if this is true or not, but it's at least an intresting theory.

Alec if u want ti turn up AA and FSAA get ATi - i swear - u have seen what i have said before.

Do you really trust NVIDIA with their "optimizations" - weith their complete hardware lack of pixel shader - which were NOT fixed in the 5950 as that would of involved a NEW core on the chip.

dont do it man! trust me! dont do it!

ATi at the moment is the better card - NVIDIA is cutting quality for a few more FPS and even then ATI in 99% of tests once AA and FSAA are turned on @ 2x and above the 9800PRO and up are leaving nvidia in the dust!