Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Jedi X

I've had it with NAV 2004!

I'll make this short: I hate the damn thing. I've been having some strange disk problems for a while. When I deleted something from my HDD, there was no increase in free disk space, even when I deleted a couple of gig worth of files! I didn't realize this until a few hours ago, but the problem started occuring about the same time I installed Norton Antivirus 2004. Lately, I got fed up with it poking into things I didn't want it to scan, even though I TOLD IT NOT TO! So, I uninstalled it and surprisingly, no more disk space problems. Yay for me.

But now I have another problem: You guessed it, no antivirus. I need a highly configurable one, one which will preferably remember its settings. My friends suggested the following:

McAfee VirusScan Professional

NOD32 and

Avast! Antivirus

I've never used any of them and I've only heard of McAfee, so I'd be really happy if someone told me which one is best (It doesn't neccessarily have to be on the list, just don't say Norton smile )

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Since I'm here: Another one of my less computer-litterate friends needs an AV for his P166. It's ancient, I know laugh Well, he needs one that won't kill his puter when he runs it (aka not hardware-hungry). Thanks again!

Stay far, far, far, far away from McAfee Antivirus. Worst product ever made... it has been the height of villainy since VirusScan 4.0.

What about Norton 2003? Have you tried it? I don't see any real new features offered by 2004 anyways. I have read that many people have had problems with Norton AV 2004 subscription service, but that is unrelated to your problems.

Thanks for all your replies!

I did some more snooping and I heard that configuring Avast! could easily take an hour. Could anyone confirm that? That may be a pain, but it could also mean that it'll do what I'll tell it to do.

Vermyn: McAfee - evil? How come? Just curious

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies!
I did some more snooping and I heard that configuring Avast! could easily take an hour. Could anyone confirm that? That may be a pain, but it could also mean that it'll do what I'll tell it to do.
Vermyn: McAfee - evil? How come? Just curious

I agree with staying away from McAfee. it is a resource hog that slows your system to a crawl because it feels the need to scan everytime you breath, blink or pass wind! It is one of the worst products that I ever had the misfortune to use and will never ever use again.

s

Avast = Evil too

After installing that thing on two machines, both of them where getting "No more quota" messages and quota was not even enabled...

After uninstalling, everything was back to normal

Quote:
Stay far, far, far, far away from McAfee Antivirus. Worst product ever made... it has been the height of villainy since VirusScan 4.0.

The corporate version is very nice, and is all that I have used for a long time now. However, the home version has become quite bloated from what I have read (much like NAV). Kapersky is supposed to be pretty nice, and might be worth checking out.

Since you asked, I'll give you my McAfee horror story:

I was in the same position as you back around 1999. I needed a virus scanner and needed it badly. I wanted to try something that had a "good name." I thought (how silly of me) that McAfee had a good name, so I downloaded VirusScan evaluation edition and loaded it up.

After installing it, Windows Update ceased working. No matter what I did, I couldn't use Windows Update at all. I started having tons of BSOD crashes, application errors, everything from the ground up. It was a nightmare.

So I decided it was time to uninstall McAfee. Oh man was I sorry. Uninstalling it rendered my system completely unbootable. Windows just BSOD'd on reboot or didn't load at all.

I had to reformat. I was upset. I spent a lot of time on the McAfee forums trying to get them to talk, but they do not respond at all to their users.

Incidentally, I guess I should mention the virus scanner I'm using. I used to use AVP (before it was Kaspersky), but they could never get XP compatibility working properly so gave up on them. Moved to Panda Antivirus and their installer installs the program in Espanol even if you select English. About the only reliable programs I'm using now are either Norton Corporate edition (Corporate, I said!) or AVG (www.grisoft.com).

Good luck!

I feel your pain, Vermyn. A similar thing happened to me a while ago (although it wasn't an antivirus program). Thanks for the reccomendations. I'll check those two out when I get the chance.

NAV 2004 installs protected recycled bin by default, even after emptying

recycle bin files are still there, you have to remove protected files to free up space. You can also disable this feature.

Come on! I use McAfee 8.0. It doesn't use as much resources as NAV 2003 or Norton Internet Security 2003 Suite. I USED TO USE ONLY Symantec's anti-virus line-up. But earlier this year as the big worms and such hit I found that all of my clients machines that were hit were either running NAV or no anti-virus at all. The McAfee machines seemed to update more rapidly.

Now that is just one case I know but I also started getting calls from clients saying that Norton 2003 and NIS 2003 was suddenly turning itself off and leaving their machines open to the world! I couldn't believe it so I installed in on 3 or 4 of machines I own or have access to. I had the same problem on a couple of those machines among other problems!!! I went to the knowledge bases and tried all the fixes and patches. Finally we ended up getting the $29.99 McAfee 8.0 boxes. No one has complained since then!

As for system stability, yes McAfee had huge problems with that in the 90s. That was the reason I stayed away from it. But I have been using it since June and see no reason to go back to NAV. If I did go back it would be back to NAV Coporate Edition. It is what I still use on all of my servers.

Quote:
witnessed the Chrysler 426 HEMI engine of the late 1960's & early 1970's, & saw a fantastic power generating engine, but one with so many more added moving parts, it was more prone to breakdown because of more elements.

Bull. No more moving parts than any other V8 of that time period. I own two of the 426 Hemi engines, and they are by far more reliable than any other equivalent engine, even when fed twice the HP & torque than I feed through a non-Hemi engine.

The engine was chosen by Chrysler teams competing in NASCAR due to it's legendary reliability rather than it's ability to make copious amounts of torque/HP.

That's also the reason why it's still the dominant engine in NHRA Top Fuel - it works, even when 5500+ HP is fed through it.

Hmmm, personal attacks on someone you don't know, huh? OK, I'll let this brave attack pass by.

LOL...good try; one of my Hemis is in a '69 Charger, which I rebuilt using an M-1 single plenum intake & a 1150 cfm Holley Dominator.

The other is in a '67 Belvedere, it still has dual Carter AFBs. It doesn't have air cleaners, but individual screen tops for the carbs.

I just HAD to do it, didn't I? It's Vermyn's story all over again. Among the antivirus programs I've tried was McAfee's VirusScan. Wasn't pleased with it, so I uninstalled it. No big deal, right? WRONG! Now every time Windows boot up I get an error: "Cannot get getaddrinfo from the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll" or something like that and the program who's causing this is called 2003121222929_mcinfo.exe . I looked the program up via Ad-Aware's logs and this is what I got:

Code:
#:15 [2003121222929_mcinfo.exe]    FilePath           : [censored]    ThreadCreationTime : 21.12.2003 22:51:49    BasePriority       : Normal    FileSize           : 312 KB    FileVersion        : 4, 3, 0, 10    ProductVersion     : 4, 3, 0, 0    Copyright          : Copyright      CompanyName        : Networks Associates Technology, Inc    FileDescription    : McAfee SecurityCenter Update Info    InternalName       : McInfo    OriginalFilename   : McInfo.exe    ProductName        : McAfee SecurityCenter    Created on         : 12.12.2003 1:29:29    Last accessed      : 21.12.2003 22:51:29    Last modified      : 26.8.2003 17:37:16

Why me? frown I tried manually deleting the twisted little thing by going to the path given in the log, but the folder isn't there! Dammit, where does this thing keep coming from? Anyway, McAfee's off my list. Well, maybe on my BLACKlist, but that's another story laugh Going to try Kaspersky's AVS next.

Cheers!

P.S.: How'd this end up being a car engine topic? ;(

beware though. I unistalled Mcafee to try out NAV 2004 and lets just say Mcafee may of said it was unistalled but their was enough of Mcafee to screw me over and not allow me to install Norton and screwed up my computer so bad that I had to format my computer. So Beware you might think that Norton is gone but it could be still their.

Oops! Anyone still using NIS/NAV from Norton today? wink If there are still fans with them for what surfaced recently. wink