Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gmenik

norton ghost

hi smile

i was trying to use norton ghost to image (for backup) my os partition. i use win98 boot disk to go to true dos but it won't see ntfs partition. anybody who is ghost old timer pls help

thanks

sorry i only have ghost program that comes w/ software bundle when i bought a motherboard. the only file inside ghost folder is ghost.exe. the only intruction i have is.... copy the file from your hd and you should boot in true dos. thanks for your help laugh

There is an NTFS driver out there for DOS. I have never tried it myself, but you can try to google to find it.

Also, if you don't mind spending $35, get an OEM copy of Norton SystemWorks Pro 2003. It comes with ghost 2003, which is much better and easier for doing the kind of job you want it to.

good luck

Don't mess with Ghost (except for v8....but unless you want to buy 10 licenses or "aquire" it then don't bother). Versions of Ghost before v8 are nothing compared to Acronis True Image v7. I've played around with True Image since it came out and bought v6 a couple of months ago. V7 just came out and it's great. BUY IT. It's great software that will save you a ton of time and effort and you won't have to bother with bootdisks and worrying about wether the software supports this or that like....GHOST.

P.S. It's based on Linux unlike Ghost v8 which is a GOOD thing. smile

thanks guys.....reason i want to use ghost coz i'm tired reloading my os. i am a extreme o'c enthusiast. things get corrupted sometimes. what about drive image? any good? i guess i will do dosfreak sugestion. anyway thanks again

ps my friend offer me ghost 7.0 enterprise edition...i don't know where he got it but anybody know how to use it. is it the same as the regular ghost. my friend never use it.

Forget all this about ntfsdos to use ghost!

ghost can natively image NTFS drives, no problem. At least from ghost 2001 and up. (Those are the ons I have used.)

Just run ghost.exe from dos and choose your drive.

If it doesnt see the drive then this is liekly the cause:

Your drive is set to "none" in the bios. When set to none, w000/XP will still see the drive but dos wont. So make sure the drive shows up in bios and you are good to go.

It doesnt need corperate version, it doesnt require a "special ghost bootdisk" either, just a win98 standard boot disk and ghost.exe will do.

duhmez your point is very bold i like it lol. forgive me for being stupid but in the bios primary drive and second are set to auto. so did it mean i set it to none? how do i do that. i got ghost 2000 does this thing works to see my ntfs if i boot to win98 bootdisk? pls explain thanks much. laugh

try having all your drives set to auto just to be safe.

Run ghost from dos, that's all it can natively see the ntfs partiitons. It can't SAVE to ntfs partition, it can just create image from it.