Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gilgamesh

Thinking of upgrading to 9800 Pro...

I'm considering upgrading to a ATI 9800 Pro 128MB. My question is, would I see a big difference from my current card, a Geforce3 64MB, to make it worth 300 bucks? Recommendations, comments, just post em smile

-lutikri55

Depends... If the games you're playing now don't really stress your card you may not "see" a big difference. Actual raw performance wise, the Radeon smokes the GeForce.

I upgraded from a GeForce4 Ti4200 w/64MB to a Radeon 9600 pro w/128MB and was a bit underwhelmed. Most of the games I play are OpenGL/ QuakeIII based games. The DirectX games seemed to appreciate the upgrade a little more though. I don't think I got $200 worth of upgrade personally.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Most of the games I play are pretty fast paced, Unreal Tournament 2003, Serious Sam 2, Midnight Club. I think I have decided to wait however until the price drops a bit more. I will probably decide to get it once Half Life 2 comes out, which could be a while and price will most likely drop by then. Thanks for the help.

You will see a HUGE improvement. Radeon 9800 Pro cards are very fast, even with the eye candy turned on. Definetley worth upgradin.

What's going to happen after the 9900? Are they going to call the next one a Radeon 10000 or change the name? Radeon 10000 doesn't sound right...

For similar perfromance and almost half the cost you can get hte GF 5900 SE from newegg for 188 now. Look at the specs. About the same performance, about half the cost. U will still see GREAT improvements.

If that is the case he can spend about 20 dollars more and go with the standard 5900 that will out perfor the 5900 XT chip and still be around 200 or so. However I have been a huge Nvidia fan for years and I think I may get the 9800 Pro card because the Nvidia just can't compete when it comes to the DX9 performance. I did find a pretty good price on soem ATI cards here http://www.slickdeals.net/

ATI will probably call it the Radeon 10K or something....who knows? Maybe it might be time to retire the "Radeon" name and use something else, but, if Nvidia keeps the "GeForce" name, then they should stick with Radeon because of familiarity, AMD and Intel continue to use "Athlon" and "Pentium" after all.

Quote:
For similar perfromance and almost half the cost you can get hte GF 5900 SE from newegg for 188 now. Look at the specs. About the same performance, about half the cost. U will still see GREAT improvements.

you will NOT get similar performance - end of story - the ONLY FX card that comapres to a 9800PRO is an ULTRA 5900 or 5950

You need to read soem reviews about these 2 cards. Just because the memory and clock speeds are close does not mean performance will be. Core and memory speed mean almost nothing in today video cards - what you want is the pixel shader peformace, how many lines they got, 8, 4, 12? etc etc.

turn on AA and FSAA - bu-bye nvidia

You want to have entire scenese adn shadows missing from your games because nvidia has nice little optimizations? go ahead

you will notice a HUGE diff in quality and speed with a 9800PRO - ALSO u will be futured proofed for Dx9 based game s- which ther FX line is not.

I use a 9800 Pro, and it can run most games right now at max settings such as UT 2K4 and AoE II.

However, it will only run Half Life 2 on somewhat high settings, B2 on medium-high settings, and Fear low-medium settings.

Also, my 9800 Pro is O/Ced so I get some more performance out of it.