Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mezron

n00b programming Win32... Where to start?

I consider myself a fairly advanced user, been using Windows since the 3.1 days. I'd like to learn a little programming. I can write a basic batch file and simple stuff like that but I'd like to go a little further. Where is a good place to start?

Any websites you guys recommend so I can RTFM wink Any tools that are good to start with? Visual stuff is preferred, but I can work from a command line. Open source stuff would be preferred as I'm kinda broke at the moment (Christmas and all). Open source allows me to look at how stuff works as well, it just doesn't make any sense to me at the moment and I'd like to change that.

Well it depends on what you want to really do. Both Java and C/C++ have free compilers available, with gui that you can use with them if you prefer, though any text editor will work.

If you need something easier, there is visual basic, but that requires software.

I recommend visiting

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_hereGame Dev.net

Its a video game programming site. They have a nice walk though about where to get started, that applies to even if you are not making video games. They have links to everything you will need to get started from there.

Have Fun

Thanks for the link! It answered a couple questions I had smile

Looking at the pros/ cons of the different languages C/C++ will probably be the way to go for me. I enjoy dabbling in Linux as well, so I'm sure there are a lot of resources available down that road.

Quote:

Piece of advice?

For a first project, build something YOU really want to make! It keeps you interested, & helps you learn faster (no joke).

Sounds like some pretty solid advice. Thanks! smile

C# (pronounced "C Sharp") is VERY promising. Borland has a free "personal" edition of their C# Builder software which you cna use to learn C# at your own rate.

C# performs much better than Java, and almost as fast as C++ and allows for nice, smooth, fluent GUI programming. I highly recommend it.

The Only down side I see to C# is cross-platform, since it is a technology made by Microsoft, up to this point it has not been fully ported (or supported) in non-Windows platforms.

Quote:
C# (pronounced "C Sharp") is VERY promising. Borland has a free "personal" edition of their C# Builder software which you cna use to learn C# at your own rate.
C# performs much better than Java, and almost as fast as C# and allows for nice, smooth, fluent GUI programming. I highly recommend it.

The Only down side I see to C# is cross-platform, since it is a technology made by Microsoft, up to this point it has not been fully ported (or supported) in non-Windows platforms.

Though not fully ported, there is a port that comes pretty close. Check out mono for an open-source implementation of C#. There's still some work to be done for fully compatibility, but they've got enough to run most programs...

Along the same lines, you may also be interested in this free IDE for C#: SharpDevelop

Actually I Do know about Mono. I chose my words very carefully. Mono does come very close, but since it is not 100% perfect, I chose to say not "fully" ported or supported wink