Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

Dual Booting XP and 2000

I am going to try to install XP on a 500 MHz machine that has 2000 already on it. I plan to put it on as a dual boot to start to make sure it will perform well. How exactly does this work? Are their seperate windows folders for each instalation? Do the applications cross over between the installs or do you have to install it two times? If I decide to keep the XP install how much trouble is it to remove the old 2000 install??

All you need is a free partition that doesn't already have an OS on it. You cannot install WinXP in the same partition as Win2K, it will have very bad results.

Once you have found an open partition simply stick the XP disc in your drive while in Windows 2K. It will then ask you if you would like to do an upgrade or clean install. Select clean install. Then when the blue setup (DOS mode) screen appears make sure you tell it to install in the open partition and not the one 2K is on.

If you wish to get rid of 2K, edit the boot.ini, tell it to only go to XP OS. Then you can simply delete the folders on the 2K partition like Winnt, program files, Documents and Settings, etc. Make sure you have backed up your data first.

Quote:
All you need is a free partition that doesn't already have an OS on it. You cannot install WinXP in the same partition as Win2K, it will have very bad results.

Once you have found an open partition simply stick the XP disc in your drive while in Windows 2K. It will then ask you if you would like to do an upgrade or clean install. Select clean install. Then when the blue setup (DOS mode) screen appears make sure you tell it to install in the open partition and not the one 2K is on.

If you wish to get rid of 2K, edit the boot.ini, tell it to only go to XP OS. Then you can simply delete the folders on the 2K partition like Winnt, program files, Documents and Settings, etc. Make sure you have backed up your data first.

I see. Does 2000 or the XP install have a option to repartition the hard drive? I believe that the xp disk managment console can do that.

If you have data on the partition then you will lose it. You will have to use something like partition magic.