Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

connecting to home net from outside

i am interested in setting up a home intranet which i can do but i want to know if i will be able to access it from outside if i have a static IP!

can anyone tell me if this is possible and if so how i would go about it??!!

thanks

RF

smile

I use realVNC or radmin. These are remote desktop tools. Try them if they suit your needs.

You will indeed be able to acess the nwtwork from afar, however for security issues you should do a couple things. you should disable netbios over tcpip for the internet adapter. Goto advanced tcpip properties, then under the wins tab click "disable netbos over tcpip"

Then you should use winvnc or ftp( www.jgaa.com for WarFTPD, great free ftp app) or other such software for conecting. Windows sharing is too dangerous to use over the net.

well what i plan to do is set up a mini home intranet that i can access! i hope that is still ok.....

i have just tried radmin but cant get it to wrok on xp pro, it says cant find server... ?

any ideas?

thanks for responses

if u have multiple computers and u try the FTP route - u have to share all dir and folders you want to access then map them to the system with the ftp server and such.

u could do a VPN set up this would let you connect as if you were on the network it's self.

realvnc is not overly secure form what i have heard (people with basic c++ knowledge have been able to comprimise it and get access)

use a program like NetOp remote control or pcanywhere - they tend to be a little more secure if u configure it right.

i think i may be confusing ppl! Sorry my fault.

When i say intranet i mean the web pages on the intranet. (testing pages etc) so effectivly all i wanna do is have my sever as a web server that ppl can access outside !! possible?

thanks for everyones replies and sorry for the confusion !!

RF

FTP isn't secure. Passwords are sent in clear text IIRC. Also don't think VNC traffic is encrypted. Remote Desktop or terminal services traffic is encrypted.

Anyways, what he wants is a web server. Just run something like IIS properly secured and locked down. Then only allow port 80 through to the machine which is running the webserver.

Quote:

Anyways, what he wants is a web server. Just run something like IIS properly secured and locked down. Then only allow port 80 through to the machine which is running the webserver.

yeah that sounds good, easy to do ?

do i need to set up a web server or anything? is there a tute for this or anyting cus i am fairly noooobie to this side of tings

thanks

RF

I would suggest Apache web server, but it could be quite tricky to configure it.

There are packets on internet that are set up automatically and don't need much configuration tho.

Indigoperl (has PHP4, Perl as addons, you should add MySql server to it yourself to create databases)

I don't know how to add asp support to it tho.

make sure your ISP allows HTTP servers to be run! many ISP's will shut you down if you run an HTTP / FTp server.

unless you are on a buisness plan.