Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sentme_mail

unable to boot to windows

hi,

after breaking the software mirroring of windows 2000 server, i found that it cannot boot up any more.

pls help .

thanks

Quote:
hi,
after breaking the software mirroring of windows 2000 server, i found that it cannot boot up any more.
pls help .
thanks

You'll probably have to give a little more information then that. What do you mean you "broke" the software mirroring? Did you remove the mirror drive? Format it? What happens when you try to boot?

I assume you were mirroring on an internal drive? My guess is that the drive that you got rid of had the MBR. Try putting in your W2K installation disk and repairing the MBR.

Quote:
i formated 1 of the mirrored drive.
how do i fix the mbr?

Put your Y2K cd and boot from it. It will allow you to repair the MBR.

Change the boot order in the bios to boot from the disk that still has windows on it.

Or you can just take the hard drive that contains the mirror and set it the same as the original disk that it was mirroring

For instance if it was the primary master, make sure the mirror is set up the same way, cause the boot.ini points to it.

If you have win98 or later boot disk that has fdisk on it, boot up from it and start fdisk and set the active partition to the one that you need to boot up.

Or if that doesn't work try starting fdisk with /mbr option like:

fdisk /mbr

that will clear the boot sector from anything that's not supposed to be there.