Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kingdom

Install problem wRH 8.0

My original problem after RH 8.0 install was "kernel panic-unable to continue". More details: Mother Br. Sapphire A3-M275, running an AMD Duron proc. 1.3 GHz, Maxtor 30Gb HD, RAM 256Mb DDR. I installed 3 times from the CD drive. Two times using GUI and the other time was text install. Always used GRUB. Made a bootable disk and used to boot from.

Also tried to boot from HD. Used "Linux Rescue" but noticed nothing unusual.

Whenever I try to run after install----always the same message as above.

I am wondering if there is a hardware problem? This is my first attempt at Linux and I'm not giving up. Any help is appreciated.

This is an update. I replaced my motherboard with a Gigabyte ga-vax.

RH 8.0 installed perfectly. Now am running quite nicely.

Now dealing with the modem. But I have greater confidence.

PS: A belated thank you for previous replies. They did trigger the thought processes and hopefully I will be able to recpricate some other time.

Tks Bill

Quote:
This is an update. I replaced my motherboard with a Gigabyte ga-vax.
RH 8.0 installed perfectly. Now am running quite nicely.
Now dealing with the modem. But I have greater confidence.

Cool, I am glad it worked for you.

You have a great attitude about this. People usually get deter at the first sign of trouble. Linux hardware support gets better every day. My laptop has now better support under Linux than Windws. Runs cooler and faster. This wasn't the case when I bought it.

The most important lesson is to research any purchase in advance to make sure that your hardware is compatible. If it is, a Linux install is a breeze. Everything is configured and all that is left is to sit down and enjoy the computer.

Besides looking at HW compatibilit lists, you can also look at what hardware is being used by system builders that support Linux.

Anyway, welcome onboard.