Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

What is this rubbish?

Well technically the GeForce FX is not a GeForce 4 GPU it would have been called the GeForce 5 but I think nVidia decided on a name change for this series of GPU's wink

Quote:
Thanx for the input. So What you are saying Is I should be looking for either an Nvidia Geforce 4 FX 5600 or Nvidia geForce 4 FX 5700 128MB AGP 4/8x ?
(note the workding: GeForce 4...)

Yep. I reckon thats the way to go if you wanna stay with nVidia.

P.S. It's just GeForce FX not GeForce 4 FX smile

yeeeouch! Geforce FX 5600 runs at $93, FX 5800 at $193!

I might have to live with my MX 440 a little longer frown

The brands are all generic. There is one called AGPTEK, one called Inno3d, and one called eVGA. I have tried evGA before for my GeForce 2.

Does it matter which brand I pick?

Quote:
yeeeouch! Geforce FX 5600 runs at $93, FX 5800 at $193!

I might have to live with my MX 440 a little longer frown

The brands are all generic. There is one called AGPTEK, one called Inno3d, and one called eVGA. I have tried evGA before for my GeForce 2.

Does it matter which brand I pick?

Sometimes the cooling mechanisms are different. I would go to a site (such as newegg) where they have pictures of the cards to make sure it fits any cooling requirements you might have.

Pricewatch does have pictures of them. Here is the picture of the eVGA one.

4379990-1616.JPG

Does it really matter which brand I get?

Quote:
I have two bones to pick with Ati

1.) They have HORRIBLE support (if any at all) under *nix

2.) They put LOTS of garbage and trash on widnwos like Ati Control Center etc..

LOL

Also, Atis have nice bells and whistles which my system probably can't take advantage of! frown

1. Check out ATI driver page, they do have linux drivers.
URL: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux...&submit.y=8

2. - You mean ATI control panel is trash? then how bout nvidia?
their newest "forceware" 50 series driver have lots of "useless" options as well.......so they're both the same deal

- actually i never find any video driver's control panel as "trash and garbage", as they provides lots of useful options to tweak video card performance

- besides you can install ati drivers by itself if you think control panel is not useful...ATI have give option to uninstall smartgart as well, as some ppl dun like it much

Quote:
Quote:
I have two bones to pick with Ati

1.) They have HORRIBLE support (if any at all) under *nix

2.) They put LOTS of garbage and trash on widnwos like Ati Control Center etc..

LOL

Also, Atis have nice bells and whistles which my system probably can't take advantage of! frown

1. Check out ATI driver page, they do have linux drivers.
URL: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux...&submit.y=8

2. - You mean ATI control panel is trash? then how bout nvidia?
their newest "forceware" 50 series driver have lots of "useless" options as well.......so they're both the same deal

- actually i never find any video driver's control panel as "trash and garbage", as they provides lots of useful options to tweak video card performance

- besides you can install ati drivers by itself if you think control panel is not useful...ATI have give option to uninstall smartgart as well, as some ppl dun like it much

Those drivers look generic. THey do not look like they provide any 3D functionality. Also, they do not say WHICH cards these drivers are for.

As for the stuff that Ati/Nvidia installs, Ati (as you said) gives you the option to un install. Which means it INSTALLS it (whther u like it or not) then you have to manually remove it

I am still not convinced that radeon cards are supported under Linux. General opinion states they seem to lack good reliable support for linux. The way I look at it is if I pay hard earned cash for a video card, then I don't want a company that says we're too lazy to support Linux.

As for the tools and control panel items that you do not find to be garbage, they ug the heck out of me. I want my desktop nice and clean, with nothing running in the background or in my system tray, consuming resources, while providing functionality I rarely ever need. The way I see it is, WHEN i do need the functionality of these annoying programs, I can install them and use them form the Windows control panel manually.

That's just my 2 cents

Well if you check out ATI drivers download section, you'll see that you can download the windows drivers as on package, or individual components (driver, control panel). And MMC and dvd driver is seprate component as well.

URL: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp...amp;submit.y=10

ATI have given user to intall driver and control panel seprately, nvidia don't even give you that option. The nvidia's control panel is bundled with the driver so u can't install it seprately. So if you think that the control panel is taking resource (which doesn't take that much, maybe a few mb)

you can install drivers only.

The linux drivers are for all radeon series, (8500/9000/9100/9200/9500/9600/9800), and they're fully optimized for 2D/3D functionality like nvidia does

URL: http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html

But they don't have drivers for IA64 and AMD64 available yet, which you will not likely to use these ones. ATI will have support for these CPUs available later.

Same as Nvidia, ATI provided one driver for Radeon family, and Nvidia for Geforce family. So ATI's inferior driver support (windows, linux) is a thing in the past. Starting from the catalyst drivers, they provided full range support for full windows and linux family.

My first and second video card is nvidia (TNT, Geforce2) and i like them more then ATI by then. But I switch to ATI because of Geforce FX's disappointing performance, and their attitude (they deliberately cheat in benchmark/games, which i know ppl would say ATI cheats as well, but the problem is that they say that even by cutting corners it's still "fine". And the margin is too excessive too (when Madonion released 3dmark 01/03 patch for example, nvidia's performance dropped drastically (more then 20%) but ATI's is only like 1 or 2 percent or sth, which is very minor in comparison). And even worse is that their responded by releasing new driver versions to "re-enable the optimizations" which say that they're really just ignore what the customer really wanted (true performance). And ATI's response is that they'll turn off the optimization with the next driver release(even though is nth compare to nvidia). So this kinda of attitude it causes me to loose confidence with Nvidia.

Quote:

But I switch to ATI because of Geforce FX's disappointing performance

I did not relize FX had such bad ratings. Also I did not check the driver thingy, so i stand corrected.,

Ok, so lets say I want to get a Radeon, which card should I get that meetts ALL of requirements 1, 2 ,3 and 4 (mentioned earlier)?

Sapphire appears to be the biggest ATi partner ATM. We sell a lot of Powered by ATi cards in the shop, most are Sapphire branded. Then we get the occasional client wanting the retail boxed Built by ATi with all the goodies. Well that depends on which model you get. The desktop retail boxed versions Built by ATi do have extra's like games and such, however their Workstation cards, the Fire GL cards, only come with the DVI2VGA adapters and the drivers disk. This insanely huge box full of nothing basically frown

Here's where things in the states get ludicrus, I'd rather have less fluff and a plain white/brown box, or even just the anti-static bad, along with the drivers disk and the item then these fancy retail boxes ;(

Sorry, I neglected to comment on your question there wink

Well on this model I can't say but if it's like any of there other Radeon models then I'd say it's a good buy. I've installed 100's of these cards now in various machine builds and have had little problems with them. They work well with the supplied drivers disk and the OEM Radeon drivers from ATi's site wink

Hmmm I C. I have heard it has an older GPU. iI still can't figure out which is the best card my system can take advantage of frown

Yeah, thats right. TI4200 give decent speeds in pre-DX9, and even some DX9 games; save those heavily optmised for DX9 titles.

As for a GF4 card on this game, try avoid running the game in bilinear filtering mode, cos it shows some instability in doing so, stay with the trilinear filtering. wink

The GeForce FX5600 or 5700.

For ATi's side of things, the Radeon 9200 would be a steup up in the right direction.

Originally posted by shassouneh:

Quote:
HI All,

Can anyone help me with this. I found a decent deal on a 9600 SE. Here is the link

Radeon 9600 SE 128 MB

Is this card any good?

Thanx

For the price, no. The memory bus is cut from 128 bits to 64-bits.

If it were, say $30, it'd be alright, but for the price it runs, it's not worth the money paid. It's on the same recommendation as the GeForce FX 5200. Sappire is a good brand tho.

first dont buy from a store that says geforce4 fx they dont know what they're talking about, it doesnt exist

second, any GeForce FX card above 5600 will do

third make sure you get one with 128mb of memory

so pick whichever yuo got enough money for

*EDIT*

with that said i strongly suggest you get 5700 128mb over 5600 i think it has much more bang for your buck

[Edited by BabyBoy-- on 2004-05-02 03:37:34]

Its not a geforece 4 fx 5600, iots geforce FX 5600

(or 5700)

I used to ride the GeForce wagon, used to bash ATI and their support. But when I actually got one of their cards, 9600PRO 256MB 8X AGP, I was very happy and excited! My GeForce 4 Ti 128MB 4400 couldn't even compare. As for support, what support do you need, it's a friggin video card not an OS! The drivers work great, they release new ones all the time, and i have yet to have any issues at all...

Originally posted by shassouneh:

Quote:
Thanx for the input. So What you are saying Is I should be looking for either an Nvidia Geforce 4 FX 5600 or Nvidia geForce 4 FX 5700 128MB AGP 4/8x ?

(note the workding: GeForce 4...)

Ignore the GeForce 4 as these cards are technically a GeForce 5, nVidia gave them the brand name of GeForce FX instead of the numeral 5 wink Looks like the NV4x series may go back to the numeral system and be branded the GeForce 6 series.

As for you question, the FX 5700 has basically replaced the FX 5600 model. However there may not be too much of a performance difference on your machine but of course if price is the major concern here you most likely will be able to get an FX 5600 for a pretty good price now.

Take it from personal experience....DO NOT BUY an AGPTEK card you'll be lucky if they have the correct specs and last a year. Imagestore, Fookstore, & 99 cent store sell them through eBay. I've played CIVIII with a geforceMX2 with hardly any problems.

Good Luck,

gj

Hmmm, I read all two pages thinking this was all new. Then I noticed the last post number was about 22,000 posts after the one before it. Why do people revive old posts?