Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Phalanx-Imawano

New PC Monitor suffering from interferance

I just got myself a AOC Spectrum 7F monitor (17" Flatscreen), and while generally it's display is great, it has a problem with electrical/magnetic interference (more than my previous monitor). Right now it's showing wavyness on screen, which the manual says is due to electrical devices causing interference. I've tried moving or turning off all possible nearby suspects (19" TV, XBox console, HiFi Stereo, PC speakers w/ subwoofer, external CD-Writer, and scanner), but that didn't get rid of the problem. Any possibility for the PC's CPU itself to cause electrical interference to the monitor? My CPU by the way has an upgraded Power Supply (suggested by the store that upgraded it to a Pentium4 for me), which is 500W with 2 fans (according to the store, it's actually meant for a server). Could that be the culprit? Any other suggestions? Perhaps is my house electrical system may be problematic?

Yes, any electronic device, especially power supplies can give off extra amounts of EMI/RFI. However, this amount varries from country to country depending on local codes for this kind of emmisions.

Another thing I've heard that can cause issues like this are cordless phones. Do you have one by any chance ?!? Some of these can radiate an extreme amount of EMI/RFI wink

Also, have you tried adjusting your refesh rate to see if this helps or changes anything on the display ?!?

Also, make sure the display/video cable has a good connection to the graphics card connector. Try disconnecting the cable, at both ends of you have a VGA/DVI connector on your flat panel as well and then try reversing the connector ends and see if this makes any difference.

Well I found an interim solution that at greatly reduced the wavyness but sort of turned them into rows of dark shadowy semitransparent lines, which I find more tolerable. I went to the NVIDIA Display Settings and went to the Display Timing options. It was initially set at Autodetect (where Windows will select the best mode), and I tried the different settings (General Timing Formula, Discreet Monitor Timing, Coordinated Video Timing, and Fixed Aspect Ratio Timing), and found that General Timing Formula (GTM) did the job. I also checked which one was the undesirable setting (which was selected by Windows in Autodetect) and it was Discreet Monitor Timing (DMT). Based on the help file, GTF is the most preferred for new monitors, while DMT was actually for OLDER MONITORS (guess Windows XP wasn't that discerning).

Another possibility could be a poor ground for your computer and/or monitor. Have you checked the AC outlet with a ground tester or a VOM to see if there is a break/open in the ground line ?!?

Perhaps this particular make/model of flat panel has a poorly designed shield as well...

I've heard of unusual amounts of RF interference coming from home wiring as well. If at all possible, perhaps try moving the monitor to a new localtion, it may be that the house itself, in that area is the culprit.

PS. I have exactly that model of monitor, and you are right, for the most part it's excellent, but it is very picky about interference. Although I do have a tv and scanner, ect. around it, I can't put my PC Speaker sub near it, even though the manual with my Altec Lansings claim that the sub is shielded.