Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

SATA Raid

This may be a stupid question, but if a motherboard has SATA RAID, can I hook up 2 IDE drives and make a RAID Array? Or do I have to get SATA hard drives?

If so, can you buy converters or something? Seems like most of the motherboards have SATA Raid, but I am not sure were to get the drives.

No you can not, and yes you can buy converters, but the're pretty expensive.

Only if your mobo supports ide raid you can build a raid array (e.g. ABIT ST6-RAID)

You can get 2 sata drives or you can make a software raid (win2000, xp... supports it).

Or you can forget about raid 'cos it aint such a big improvement.

Quote:
No you can not, and yes you can buy converters, but the're pretty expensive.

Only if your mobo supports ide raid you can build a raid array (e.g. ABIT ST6-RAID)

You can get 2 sata drives or you can make a software raid (win2000, xp... supports it).

Or you can forget about raid 'cos it aint such a big improvement.

I disagree, I purchased convertors for less then $30(USD).

As for RAID 0 not being faster, well I can see a huge difference when compared to a single drive wink

i then must disagree too.

$30 for a converter to run a drive that probably costs $100 or so, is pretty expensive.

Toss in 2 for raid and it's almost $60 extra.

IDE raid is good (I use it). i have installed SATA raid0 for other people, and it seems a lot faster than a single IDE drive, but what is a good way of actually comparing the performence of IDE Raid and SATA Raid?

will it really make any difference to use IDE Hdd's and connect it to SATA?

(My logic tells me it doesn't, but i don't really know!)

Quote:
$30 for a converter to run a drive that probably costs $100 or so, is pretty expensive.

Then I must disagree again wink $60 to convert your existing PATA drives to SATA would be cheaper then purchasing a pair of new SATA drives laugh

Quote:
Quote:

Then I must disagree again wink $60 to convert your existing PATA drives to SATA would be cheaper then purchasing a pair of new SATA drives laugh

in canada there is about $10 difference between seagate 120 GB ata133 w/ 8MB cach and the same HDD SATA. unless you already have the ide drives and you don't wanna buy new drives.