Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

I find the terms "primary" and "secondary" offensive.....actually I regard all spoken language as offensive and shall file a discrimination complaint forthwith. ;(

My opinion is that only bigoted people attempting hide their prejudice by pretending to be fair minded will find problems with common terms that have no sinister meaning.

People who are truly fair minded would not even notice them.

If that makes any sense at all. :x

Next the "male" and "female" names used in so many different applications will have to be changed as these names assign prejudical gender roles to inanimate objects implying subservience by the "female" connector to the "male". In today's modern society, manufacturers cannot be allowed to determine what is normal behaviour as who are they to say the there cannot be 2 males or two females or a mixture of multiples of both.

The above in italics is satire.[/i]

I don't think that's discriminatory!!, I thought that those kind of things only could happen in my country, but not anymore!, hehehe.

Funny thing is I was making a joke about this very subject about 3 or 4 years ago, asking my wife why no one was up in arms about it.

Guess it just took time

I think primary and secondary work fine for me

People are just overreacting about everything these days...

"You touched my daughter's shoulder! [censored]ual harassment!!"

DOH!

If they're sooooo offended by it, let them relable it themselves. If I were heading up the companies talked to about this, there'd be more master slave stuff on just out of spite. Master IDE controller, Slave IDE controller. Master PCI slot 1, Master PCI slot 2, etc. laugh

Sounds good to me, also note that your labeling of the PCI slots is not far from the truth in that most motherboards now support busMAStering PCI slots laugh

whats up Brian, man, you got alot of posts here now, whats up D0Sfreak?

i was devastated by this news. Master and Subordinate wouldn't be so bad though.

Quote:
what about Garrison and Slave? laugh

Actually that would be Mr. Garrison and Mr. Slave laugh

Of course we couldn't forget about Lemmiwinks now could we laughlaugh

Quote:
whats up Brian, man, you got alot of posts here now, whats up D0Sfreak?

i was devastated by this news. Master and Subordinate wouldn't be so bad though.

Not much. I've got alot of posts, but have been surpassed as the NTComp forums post-wh0re.

This is just an example of why Political Correctness is stupid. It doesn't matter the intent, it's still offensive and thus must be changed to appease a small percentage of people...but this did come from Cali...and there are some major pro-weed guys over there. Coincidence? laughlaugh