Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silver-Dagger

USB 2.0 HD trouble

OK I am running W2KSP4 on a NF7-S AMD 1700 board with the latest NVidia drivers. The problem I am having is every time I plug in my KingWin USB 2.0 portable drive and try to write something to it Windows tries to do the write and then tells me that the drive was unplugged. I can read from it all day long.

I have tried NTFS and FAT32 for the format. The same drive same OS on a Compaq Presario laptop with USB 1.2 works fine. I have also used it on a Dell same OS USB 1.2 with no problems and on a Dell with XP Pro USB 2.0 with no problem.

The drive pulls its power from the USB port and I am running a DVD burner (with external power) from the same machine with no problems so the USB works fine. I have not tried the drive by itself.

Anybody have any ideas what could be the problem?

Check the USB properties in the control panel and see what kinda power its pulling.

Also try it by itself

Quote:
Where do I find the USB properties? I do not think Win2000 has them.

Go to My Computer and look in Device Manager. Check each root hub for power required. It seems that Nvidia's USB is not giving the device enough power and that's why the DVD Burner isn't having any problems. Switch the USB port that the USB 2.0 HDD is connected to so you can find out which port isn't getting enough power. You could also change out the power supply so that gives the USB ports alot of power.