Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alexiz

Scanner doesn't work under User account

Got standalone machine with Windows XP SP1 on it. There is also scanner UMAX Astra 2000P. The problem is that only Members of Power Users group or higher (Administrators etc.) could work with that scanner. Otherwise, under account that belongs to Users group there is a message that scanner couldn't be found or something like that. So, is there any way to let common users work with scanner under their Users accounts?

Thanx to everybody who answered smile

Hi Alexiz,

I have to assume that this isn't a security issue at all, because unless you personally did it there would no logical reason for the OS or your scanner's installer to restrict access to your parrallel port devices. My guess is there is a bug in their installer that copies some registry settings to the current user and not all users. That would leave a bunch of information available only for the user that installed it. Have you tried re-installing (without any removal) under one of the user's that its not working for? That will probably fix your issue. Although, I'll be the first to agree that's a really stupid bug and it reflects poorly on UMAX. If that's the issue please add a note to the NTCompatible.com Windows XP database for your scanner so others won't have to go through the same thing.

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn

Alexiz,

I have the same problem with my scanner and any CD burners installed. USERS cannot burn CDs or use the scanner. It is a security policy issue with W2K and WXP. I have not tried bruning with XPs built in util, but I use Nero as my burning software and downloaded a utility they have to allow non-administrators to use the burner. I have yet to find out how to get a user to use the scanner. Where I work we had to modify security policies to allow users to use their scanners and burners, but that is in W2K and the settings are different than WXP.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but you are on the right track.

2Christianb:

I've tried to install drivers for UMAX Astra under that user account but the drivers wouldn't setup until I add this user to Power Users group. After that, I deleted this user from Power Users group and tried to scan something under his account. The problem remains frown

Hi Alexiz,

I don't suppose there is a WinXP faq on your scanner? You might be able to figure your problem out that way. Also are you still under your technical support period? It nobody in the group can help you I'd recommend ponying up the dough or getting a new Visioneer Scanner try to get one that bundles PaperPort 9.0. I've personally owned about 6 or 7 scanner and Visioneer scanners are far and away the best since they integrate with the best scanning software PaperPort. Visioneer scanners also are generally rated the fastest in reviews. My local officemax has a 9020 on sale for 59 bucks, your results may vary, don't forget that was this week so after today (Saturday) it might be a different story.

Cheers,

Christian Blackburn

They say (UMAX)- Yes,it's a truble but we arn't going to do anything about it. ;(

Call and write to their customer service department, asking for a refund/exchange. That is shoddy customer service, and more and more companies think that's acceptable. It's not. You paid for their product, remember that.