Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masterfinn

Weird Computer freezing problems

Im Running windows 2000 pro with sp4 and all upadates. The problem is my computer sometimes ill just be doing nothing and bamn!!, froze. The mouse wont move, and ctrl+alt+del, does nothing, i have to hard boot. Then once its rebooted it might last a minute, or 5 days before the next freeze. Sometimes ill just wake up in the morning and see that my comptuer is frozen. Nothing shows up in the event viewer at all, and it seems to freeze randomly. Im starting to think its a hardware issue, my system specs are:

MSI Neo-LS 865PE motherboard, with a P4 2.4c HT cpu

2x512MB PC3200 Dual Channel RAM

ATI Radeon 9800pro 128MB

Sony DRU-510A DVD burner

40G Maxtor ATA133 7200rpm

60G Maxtor ATA133 7200rpm

X-Dreamer case w/350W ps

I was suspecting the Video card, becuase i read lots of reviews of ppl having problems with freezing. I started out with the catalyst 3.7, then up to 3.8, and now the 3.9, and still all freezing. I aslo have turned off the VPU recovery from the ATI control panel and still nothing. I have all the updates for the mobo, and all drivers are updated for all other hardware, and im still experiencing these freezing.

If anyone knows how I can fix this please help.

Thanx,

Masterfinn

Check for overheating (cpu, gpu)

Check stability with prime95 and memtest.

I have just ran those two programs and everythings good to go. I have check the cpu temp and its at 42 degrees C. Which is normal for this processor. Im just looking into now a program to find the gpu temp but still no luck in finding anything..... any other suggestions why im freezing up? Overheating maby an issue, but my case does have excellent ventalation with its exahst fan on the top and side, plus i have a fan in the back and front of the case.

Thanx, for the quick response

Masterfinn

Since you're running a dual-channel memory board, what is the voltage set for the DDR memory ?!?

This is something that can be set in the BIOS. I've seen issues like this before and for some reason on Dual-Channel boards you want to overclock the voltage for added stability. Usually around the 2.6~2.7 volt range.

The other thing you can try to see if this is indeed related to the memory is to pull out the second module and run the machine in single-channel mode and see if the freezes return or not.

Update...

I have tried to set the DDR voltage at 2.7V and that didnt help.

Also i have tried to take out one of the sticks and run in single channel, still same thing. I then tried the other stick and then all the slots on the mobo and still same thing. I also tired to disable the Hyper-Threading feature in the bios, and still same thing.

I Still have not yet ruled out the RAM as being an issue. Ill just have to find someone with some DDR sticks and test them in my machine, Also i want to get another vidcard to test in the machine so i can see if its mine or not.. Ill post back with an update once i have tried these changes.

Thanx,

Masterfinn

One thing I believe it might be is another piece of hardware...your mouse! I have a Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse, the laser one with browser buttons (back and forth) and the click and scroll wheel. It has incompatibility issues when sending signals back and forth to the computer through the USB. Occasionally, the mouse will send a signal that total confuses the computer, and freezes. I know it sound odd, but I thought it was everything else before so I backed up my computer and reformatted. Then, after installing the OS, i started it all up, this time without the mouse, and did so for about a week (it's a laptop). Then, I remembered it and installed it in the back - not even THREE seconds, then the computer freezes - i was INFURIATED! Now, I have the problem again, every time I try to uninstall the software, the computer freezes! I can't do it in safe mode, either (unbelieveable) due to disabling of microsoft installer...now, I'm going to have to disable things through misconfig and try to uninstall the software - anyone have similar problems?

I too have a USB optical mouse from Microsoft. It seems to run just fine without any lockups or anything wink

I do infact have an optical mouse. Not a microsoft one, and its not a usb either, but ill still try to change it and see what happens.

I've been lazy...I've had this problem for over two years now, haven't done anything about it (because it was stopping for a while...) - I just wrote Microsoft support, see if they've heard of anything ("oh, of course not - our products are never pieces of junk" laugh )

hello all !!

you see i have got the same problem!!!

my computer is freezing....

the funny is that :

in windows 98 - it is working without any problem it is never freezing,

but when i switch to linux, and windows xp, it is !!

and i need windows xp right now, to run a program...

someone, have an idea ?!.