Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

New games out or coming out.

I am looking forward to some of these games coming out, I have out of the PC game loop for a bit now...but there are some good games here:

Out now and coming this year:

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

Deus Ex 2: The Invisible War (Dec)

Need For Speed: Underground (Nov)

Call of Duty

Contract JACK (Nov) [No One Lives Forever 2 Prequel]

Coming 2004:

Doom 3

Half-Life 2

Unreal Tournament 2004

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault

Men of Valor

Max Payne 2 is cool, I got that a few days ago, though haven't played it for the last couple of days [not really in the mood for gaming - flu]. 1 piece of advice, as I said in the compatibility thing, if you're not gonna be using 5.1 sound, turn off EAX or you'll end up with a kind of bass feedback type thing that sounds like a really loud foghorn when you enter certain rooms/areas.

I have been fiddling around with some game demos lately, and War themed games are certainly the "thing" right now.

I played Vietcong - didn't really like it much...but has nice graphics. I also finally tried Battlefield 1942, ummm no, kinda boring, seems fine for multiplayer though. I also heard that Battlefield will be getting a second mission pack/sequel as well, based around Vietnam. I played the Call of Duty demo and it was alright, but the part I was playing I didn't enjoy much, but maybe other parts are really good, I have heard good things about this title, but I am sick of WW2 stuff, been playing too much MOHAA, and its recent expansion pack...Breakthrough which kinda sucked.

I've pre-ordered the new Deus Ex . Other than HL2, there's not many I'm really looking forward to. I'm hoping Croteam puts out another Serious Sam , since they leave you hanging at the end of SS2.

If I play only 1 game this year, it would be DX: Invisible War, as for Serious Sam, Serious Sam 2 should be out next year and apparently you finally get to meet mental. I don't know why they aren't calling the game SS: The Third Encounter or Final Encounter though, but a new engine is being used to make it.

I've played the demo of NFS: Underground and got mixed feelings...

thank god, the handling of the car is nowhere near NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 (forget about Colin McRae1/2/3). I'd dare say it's worse than NFS: Porsche Unleashed - so, i'd put it somewhere in between. The graphics are very very nice, lots of realistic reflections on the demo, and at 1024*768 my lowly mx440 had no problems (playing NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 at 1024*768 is still a distant dream).

Also the drag race is a really cool feature...you have a giant rev meter on the left, plus a nitro:p device........when you pick up speed try not to crash onto other cars, like me....ehehe.

But I wouldn't buy the game........yet another NFS clone??? if i can count them correctly there has been:

Need For Speed

Need For Speed 2 (no cop cars!)

Need For Speed 2: Special Edition (3Dfx support, more cars, more tracks)

Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit

Need For Speed 4: High Stakes

Need For Speed 5: Porsche Unleashed (most realistic handling of all, imo)

Need For Speed 6: Hot Pursuit 2

Need For Speed 7: Underground

8 car race games, none with a car handling that resembles reality, can't they just quit it........

GOTY = Game of the year

I am now getting annoyed as Max Payne and Deus Ex are my equal favourite games. DX lets me think and Max lets me indulge in some sweet-ass violence.

However I imagine that in order to play either of the sequels, I will need to purchase a new rig in the order of a P4 10 gig with 1gb RAM and a video card with 256mb. I guess this is the price of progress but I was hoping to save a little once I get my car paid off.

Looks like I'll have to go stand on the street corner again....

Yeah, I have kinda given up on PC gaming in general. I picked up an Xbox last week and I think it's pretty cool. I have Project Gotham Racing 2 and some other stuff and they have been pretty sweet on my 45" Mitsubishi. It's just nice not having to patch the game or spend more on a video card than the cost of the console plus a game just to get good performance out of a new game for the PC. Just toss the game in there, and let 'er rip.

More and More PC game developers are hungry for console gaming profits its simple. Just look at the Deus Ex 2 demo, its garbage, it feels like a console port, the same goes for Halo, it could have been better on the PC, but nothing got changed.

Quote:
I am now getting annoyed as Max Payne and Deus Ex are my equal favourite games. DX lets me think and Max lets me indulge in some sweet-ass violence.

However I imagine that in order to play either of the sequels, I will need to purchase a new rig in the order of a P4 10 gig with 1gb RAM and a video card with 256mb. I guess this is the price of progress but I was hoping to save a little once I get my car paid off.

I wouldn't go quite that far, MP2 runs nicely on my AXP1900+, with 640MB RAM [sDR, not that new fangled DDR ;)], & a Radeon 9600 Pro 128 MB[actually it's a VIVO version, but you'd save money by getting a non-VIVO version]. So I was thinking to myself, well he can afford a new car, surely the parts to get his system up to roughly the same spec as mine wouldn't be TOO expensive. Admittedly I only looked @ 1 Australian PC parts site. They didn't appear to have as much range as a number of UK-based sites. Over here you can get a cheap, no-frills mobo without AGP 8x & that will only run slower speed DDR [basically you'd be limited to a max of an XP2100+ & DDR266] for £20, which is probably about AU$47-ish.

I looked up the price on that site for a system that I didn't think would break the bank, & it came in @ AU$795!!! just for an AXP2500, Abit NF7-S, 2x256MB DDR333 RAM, & a Radeon 9600XT.

I just looked at my favourite UK site the same kit goes for £330, although when converted to upside-down money [just kidding :)] it comes to AU$778.896, so I guess there's not such a big difference afterall, assuming that is that incomes are similar over there [after exchange rates I mean].

Quote:

So I was thinking to myself, well he can afford a new car, surely the parts to get his system up to roughly the same spec as mine wouldn't be TOO expensive.

True,
However once the car is paid off it's time to start saving for the house.
I live in a nice place now, but I never see the money again. Given that I'm thinking of shifting jobs, a new comp is the last thing I want tp spend money on at the moment.

Halo stinks and the onyl reason it would become game of the year is because too many peple got suckerd into buying it over hpe - the game is crap and will not be GOTY at all!

Deu[censored]2 icoudl not care less - call of duty is sweet - if it woudl stop crashing on my system every now ad then.

i am still addicted tomy favorite delat force black hawk down.

Hl2 - okay what ever - doom III - going to be all blood and guts with no plot liekly.