Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr Love

Multiple TCP/IP, computer name, and domain in XP. How To???

Hi! I jave a laptop and I use it on 2 networks, I need to configure the tcp/ip settings, the computername and domain every time a switch network, is it possible to create prifiles for the two networks so that I don't have to do all that manually, this is a very big problem for me due to my lack of admin rights on the network so I have to consult the admin every time I should switch network.

Please help me!!

Well first off you can keep the computer name the same unless someone else is using it on either network. How are both networks setup? Do they both use DHCP, neither or one? Are there domains on both? Have you thought about 2 nics?

One use DHCP, there are domains on both and I have 2 users on my computer but when i configure the tcp/ip, domain and computername it effects both users..[/img]

Actually, there's a VBS script that I came across about a year ago, called NETDUMPSWITCH that would switch between two network profiles...

If you can't find it, I'll look for it when I get home from work.

Or, if you'd like me to email it to you, just drop me a message.

In windows 2000, you had to create "Hardware profiles" or use software line mobile Netswitch to be able to to use resources like Shares, Printers and Proxy Servers from different domains and workgroups without changing domain membership.

In Xp, I belive you can use the "Alternate Configuration" under TC/IP properties. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/autoconfig.asp

Hi! Just saw this thread, I know it's old.... smile

Well, are people still looking for that file? I could put it online again...

I haven't had anyone email me asking for it, and I had completely forgotten about this thread, so it's totally your decision.

Thanks! wink

I wouldn't mind the file actually.

If it's not too much trouble smile

Thanks

Hmm..

Don't know if it's a board problem, or our security settings at work.

But I keep trying to update my email address and it says my profile has been updated and to check for email verification but nothing is being sent through to my new email addy. Also, when I check my profile, my OLD email addy is still there.

So, I will PM you Adam smile

Well, I didn't receive your PM, but that's ok... I will have to check on my 'old' hard drive tonight for that file, I'm not sure if I still have it to be honest.

I'll let you know either way, though.

Originally posted by adamvjackson:

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but the file is available for the time being (until I need the webspace back) here:

http://webpages.charter.net/adamvjackson/NetDump-Switch.zip

It's just under 2KB, and hopefully Hobbel doesn't mind me hosting it. I haven't made any modifications to the original files at all, in fact, the original date on it was 11/28/2003.

And that link is now dead. Sorry, I must have deleted it last time I uploaded some photos. I'll repost that file tonight.

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but the file is available for the time being (until I need the webspace back) here:

http://webpages.charter.net/adamvjackson/NetDump-Switch.zip

It's just under 2KB, and hopefully Hobbel doesn't mind me hosting it. I haven't made any modifications to the original files at all, in fact, the original date on it was 11/28/2003.

And that link is now dead. Sorry, I must have deleted it last time I uploaded some photos. I'll repost that file tonight.

I don't mind at all. In fact, could you email the file to me? :-) I can't seem to locate it locally at all.

h0bbel (at) p0ggel.org