Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
techref

WXPHOME with virus's and adware problems

setup: Windows XP on and HP BRIO BA310. 37.2 GB harddrive, 256K RAM; 966 MHz processor.

The machine has MANY problems... Currently, I am trying to delete all mention of Gator software (from gainnetwork.net). It's all over the machine. I think I'm slowly getting it off. Spyhunter found it and ezula ALL over the registry and the c:\ ;(

But I think the machine also has the Blaster virus (which variant unsure yet). AVG Free scan has been used and didn't find anything. ;(

ANy recommendations besides fdisking and reformatting the hard drive. I'm going to use trenmicro and mcafee free software to see if they can find anything.

I would need to look for a new floppy drive first before I can do fdisk and reformat.

ok, can anyone recommend a way to delete a dll file that does NOT want to delete (says acces is denied)?

The Huntbar adware created a BTLINK folder. I can't delete it, even through DOS. frown

Open a Dos window or Command prompt window. Then, manuever to the folder or file you want to delete. Then bring up your task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc). End the explorer.exe task. This will shut down the icons blank the desktop. When explorer is dead, it should release the file you want to delete. So in your Dos window. you can delete the file. Once it is deleted, you can exit the Dos window, bring up the task manager and reboot the computer.

I think the problems are evident if you have only "256K" of RAM. laugh

All kidding aside, download Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6 Personal and have it scan your system, fully, it will also scan your registry and eliminate all that spyware.