Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
silicongod

Out of scan range error on ATi 9600

Folks,

I recently upgraded to a ATi 9600PRO vid card from a Geforce4 MX 460 (it's a long story). Now, at intermittent intervals the screen will go black and a "Out of scan range" message appears. Sometimes I can shutdown, but others the only option is reset. Once, I got a display of vertical black and white lines like a barcode. I've reseated the card twice.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP1a, DirectX 9b on an AthlonXP 1800+ with a (old) ASUS A7V133 mobo (latest BIOS). Not playing games. Catalyst 3.8 drivers are installed

I've tried 2 different monitors (a Sony 19" and a CTX 17") and the problem remains. The problem did not occur on the Geforce.

I was wondering if there might be a BIOS setting I need to make to make the 8x ATi work on a 4x mobo? Or maybe the vid card is faulty?

Thoughts anyone?

tia

John

Generally an "Out of scan range" message indicates that the resolution is set too high. Or, the refresh rate exceeds the monitors ability. This kind of message has been showing up with the Catalyst 3.8 drivers.

I've been running @ 1280x1024@85Hz for 2 years on the CTX with this Geforce and @ 1600x1200@85Hz for 1 year on the Sony with the same vid card. I'm fairly confident the the monitor can handle it.

I've had the cat 3.8 crash on me a couple of times and the VPU Recover thingy kick in each time. It seems to me that the cat drivers are a bit dodgy. Aren't the 3.8's supposed to be the most stabile ones yet?

Should I try going to cat 3.7 then? Or an earlier one?

Cheers

Tried that. It made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Downloading v3.7 now...

Maybe I should have stuck with nVidia?

I used DriverCleaner to get rid of the Detonator drivers before I installed the Cats. You don't reckon that there is some part of the detonators still kicking around causing a problem? I've noticed that when the machine hibernates, the progress bar screen does not appear like it used to with the Detonators.

Usually drivercleaners like the one from driverheaven do a good job of taking out drivers. You can go into search and type nv*.* to see if any lurk on the hard drive. You can also go into regedit and take out the Nvidia folders. Going back to the 3.7 ATI drivers seems to make the most sense.

I'm going to try v3.7 tonight. Will post back tomorrow with results...

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

John

Update

I installed cat 3.7 last night and the scan range problem *seems* to have gone away. Fingers crossed that stays that way.

It seems a shame that for what is supposedly an excellent card, the drivers are so dodgy. Hopefully 3.9 will be better.....