Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PTS

Creative Labs abuse of power

Harvey Fong, the moderator of the Creative Labs Newsgroups, is blocking access to the server from all EV1 (Everyone's Internet) users. His excuse is that one user from EV1 violated their policies. This, so called violation, was apparantly the fact that the user suggested to another that he use the KX Project drivers instead of Creatives to correct some probems that the Creative Labs drivers could not. This is not in any way a violation of policy. Mr. Fong needs to go back and read it again.

Even if it were, Creative Labs should not have the right to punish many for the alleged "abuse" of one. If we stir up enough sh** in public opinion, I'm sure Mr. Fong will find a "better way" to deal with such as this.

Please help by passing this information to all of the forums on various web sites.

Quote:
Harvey Fong, the moderator of the Creative Labs Newsgroups, is blocking access to the server from all EV1 (Everyone's Internet) users. His excuse is that one user from EV1 violated their policies. This, so called violation, was apparantly the fact that the user suggested to another that he use the KX Project drivers instead of Creatives to correct some probems that the Creative Labs drivers could not. This is not in any way a violation of policy. Mr. Fong needs to go back and read it again.

Even if it were, Creative Labs should not have the right to punish many for the alleged "abuse" of one. If we stir up enough sh** in public opinion, I'm sure Mr. Fong will find a "better way" to deal with such as this.

Please help by passing this information to all of the forums on various web sites.

Can you give your source here? Forgive me if I am skeptical of posts like this that don't cite their sources.

Indeed, accurate sources and times would be nice for this. However, if this was the case, they probably have to right to block whomever they want from their systems as they more than likely own them.

Well the only source I can give you is myself. I am a EV1 user, so, well this one is a given... Then I have written Mr. Fong and he verified what I have said.

They do have a private server. But where he gets into trouble is when he lets even one person have access to this server, a server that is mentioned on all of their documentation as being available to the users, and then says you only need to abide by the rules/policies that are outlined for the newsgroups. He then does not follow those guidelines himself, but instead creates his own and blocks my access for no rreason at all.

This is a form of discrimination at the very least. Not to mention the whole freedom of speech thing. The EV1 user that Mr. Fong is sour with suggested the KX Project drivers to someone and it got us all kicked. There is nothing in the Creative Labs guidelines that prohibits this, and it would not be legal for them to even do so. Legally You can only prohibit words that may offend or threaten another user. This is stated in their guidelines.

I have already talked to my attorney about this, so I really do not want to argue the subject. Mr. Fong is in the wrong without a doubt, and I am asking all of you to help get this matter resolved by emailing Mr. Fong and Creative Labs.

Thanks

Well this kind of thing falls into a kind of grey area. On the one hand CL is protecting their IP, god how I hate that, but they do own it. The same goes for their news server.

The bad part is that this can give them some really bad PR, so in a sense you're correct for bringing this out but many ISP's have their own news server and many of these also mirror the CL news groups. Have you tried to access these yet ?!? If they aren't available on your ISP's news server, perhaps you can ask them if they can include them on the server as well.

However this may only allow you to read the threads as any posts you or fellow EV1 users attempt to make, may indeed get filtered at the source which is CL's news servers frown

I myself use CL cards and have little to no problems with the drivers or the cards, but I've seen and read about others that do, so CL should attempt to correct whatever issues they can instead of doing stuff like this smile