Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atreyu

VB.NET Return Active Directory UserNames

Using VB.NET...

I created a program that randomly generates usernames. Now I need it to search the Active Directory to ensure the username does not already exist. How would I search my Active Directory to return a matching username? Also, how would I query Active Directory to return a listing of all usernames? This was easy in VB6... but doesn't seem to be as straight-forward now.

Thanks in advance.

It shouldn't matter, but yes... it's on a couple servers (mixed with 2k).

Either way, I figured it out. I'll post the code when I get off of work.

I misunderstood the questions.

I thought you were trying to query AD for specific users.

With Server 2003 you can use DSGET command

But since you are talking programming, thats not my thing :P

No problem. Here's what I found to work. It returns the user's name, their path, and also their alias (or username).

Code:
        Dim enTry As DirectoryEntry = New DirectoryEntry("LDAP://mydomain")        ''Console.Write(enTry.Username)        Dim mySearcher As DirectorySearcher = New DirectorySearcher(enTry)        mySearcher.Filter = "(objectClass=User)"        Dim resEnt As SearchResult        For Each resEnt In mySearcher.FindAll()            Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry().Name.ToString())            Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry().Properties("sAMAccountName").Value.ToString())            Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry().Path.ToString())            Console.WriteLine(resEnt.GetDirectoryEntry().NativeGuid.ToString())            Console.WriteLine("===========================================")        Next