Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ViolentGreen

So where's iTunes for windows?

Quote:
http://akamaidownload.apple.com/530x3824/akform.html

What, were you waiting for Steve Jobs to hand you the disc himself?

That would have been nice. I am pissed because they didn't release an update for the 2nd generation Windows iPods to play AAC encoded files making the music store useless to me. There are probably more windows users around using this then the 3rd generation.

Well, I guess since people like referring to Microsoft as M$, you can refer to Apple as Appl€...

If you have a lot of MP3s, it's the best application on any platform I have tested it on to manage them. I *only* have about 2000 files out of my collection on it, and it is very fast at searching and sorting and (of course) works great with my 40GB iPod. It is also very fast at launching, but this is on a slow-ass PowerBook G4 867MHz. I haven't tried it in Windows yet, so we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
it isn't really that good on windows

It has lots of performance issues but if you have an iPod and a large library, I havn't found anything better. The smart playlists (or whatever they aer called) are incredible. You can put words in the comments field to filter the tracks into playlists. This feature alone is worth it for me. I do wish you could nest playlists (along with on the iPod) if only for one level. I also wish it had some kind of mass tagging utility like musicmatch has where it downlaods the missing track info/coverart from the net.

Also, has anyone tried to uninstall it? I hear it modifies so many things on install that the uninstall completely breaks cd burning for all other applications.

I will be very pleased with this software if the performance issues are addressed.

It works fine for me in Windows and OS X 10.3. I have imported the first 40GB of my library (about 7500 tracks or so) and it works really well. I like how it can export the playlists and the library as XML for later use with other DB apps (for me, it will be ASP.NET/SQL Server). I get about 1-3% CPU utilization during playback, and it takes about 25MB of RAM (about the norm for WMP, Explorer, Mozilla, etc) but feels much lighter. The utilization is lower than WMP, Winamp, Sonique, and other MP3 players I have used, but with a lot more features. I like it a lot, and really dig the smartlists and rating option on the iPod and in iTunes.

Quote:
It works fine for me in Windows and OS X 10.3. I have imported the first 40GB of my library (about 7500 tracks or so) and it works really well. I like how it can export the playlists and the library as XML for later use with other DB apps (for me, it will be ASP.NET/SQL Server). I get about 1-3% CPU utilization during playback, and it takes about 25MB of RAM (about the norm for WMP, Explorer, Mozilla, etc) but feels much lighter. The utilization is lower than WMP, Winamp, Sonique, and other MP3 players I have used, but with a lot more features. I like it a lot, and really dig the smartlists and rating option on the iPod and in iTunes.

Try to resize the window and see what the cpu utilization is... My other gripes are tjat it doesn't seem to always recognize when I put a new cd in and that the encoding speed seems very slow. I can only encode at around 9x-14x max where I would usually get 40+ in musicmatch after the cd speed get's up there. I do know that the powerbook cd read speeds are significantly slower then my 52x drive; I don't know about the rest of the macs though. Maybe that's just a leftover. Hopefully that will be fixed eventually.

On a side not, after btiching quite a bit in multiple places about the windows 2nd gen iPods not supporting AAC, I decided to give it a shot and it worked! Everything I have read about the iPod's firmware indicated that it would not support it. Even the 1.3 update on apple's site said that it added support for AAC for mac only.

I only have a 10 GB iPod so I now have the task of reriping my collection to maximize the space on my iPod.

OK, I resized the window and the CPU util went up, then it settled back down again to the 3% mark. This was with playing a LAME --ape 192 VBR file and leaving the spectrum analyzer running. My box is a P4 2.4GHz with a gig of RAM. I have heard of other people having problems, but I don't know why. You can also correct the sq (and maybe CPU util) issues if you use "Wave Out" from the Quicktime control panel (in the Quicktime Player preferences menu).