Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Frog

sync with desktop?

i want to work on both my laptop and desktop. when i get home id like to sync the files from my laptop with the files on the desktop but not having to copy them individually!!

I'd be using m home network!

any ideas? preferably free ones !!

RF

Quote:
i want to work on both my laptop and desktop. when i get home id like to sync the files from my laptop with the files on the desktop but not having to copy them individually!!

I'd be using m home network!

any ideas? preferably free ones !!

RF

I'm sure there are applications out there that let you sync folders. I don't know much about writing .bat scripts but it shouldn't be to difficult to write one that woudl compare the timestamps of each file and copy the one sthat are newer.

Enable offline files

You can set to sync when you log on or log off

IT will only transfer those files that have changed

yeah im not great at writing batch files !

the enable offline files idea sounds cool, but i could do with a little more explaination if that is poss

thanks in advanced

RF laugh

The title says it all. Use the built in windows briefcase. All you do is copy all of the files you work on there. Then transfer the briefcase between machines, and tell it to synch. Its how I keep my documents for class up to date. Besides being free and built in it also comes in two styles (if you don't mind either registry hacking or you have x-setup) leather and steel.

There's a great little proggy on Download.com called viceversa or something like that that has rich features in regards to synching two computers. We use it at work for the lappys and it works great. Cheap to buy too from memory.

Quote:
I use Brifecase and Im not sure it can go both ways.

You like programs that go both ways huh? Seriously though it can (at least in xp).