Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tear

Export a user?

Hi!

Is it possible to export/backup a user in xp?

On my laptop I have a user that is a member of the domain in school. Is it possible to backup this user so I can re-format my laptop and import the user afterwords and still be a member of the domain?

Do you think this is possible?

You can use the files and transer wizard to export settings

It won't keep the domain membership though. THat's the computer

The domain server is setup not to allow me to rejoin... Wh I donät know, it's the way the network is setup...

If I remove my mebership in the domain I can't rejoin again...

Isn't there a way I can backup some config and import it after an install so the computer thought that I was a member of the domain all the time...?

Do you mean ro create a system restore point?

Or what backup utility do you mean?

The domain membership is going to be based off the SID of the client install, which will change when you format and reinstall the OS. So, you will need an admin to rejoin the box to the domain (yeah, I know that if a machine account is created in the domain first it's supposed to work without the admin, but that rarely works properly and this account was already active with a previous install and has to be updated with the new OS installation SID) to get you started. After that, you can either logon and restore from the profile backup wizard, or you can logon, then logoff and copy over the old profile directory. The second method creates the proper profile directory with the domain membership, and lets you copy all your old stuff over without having the OS bypass it (if you moved the directory over before your first logon in the domain) and appending "DOMAIN" to the end of the directory name.

Actually, my profile info I doeansät really matter. What I don't want is to have an domain admin to rejoin my computer... But I guess that isn't possible...

After the format and reinstall of xp I want my computer to still be a member of the domain... I guess that isn't possible...

Correct, the machine will need to be added back to the domain as the GUID has changed. Clutch basically nailed it on the head smile

If I am mistaken or if there is some third party utility to bypass this, let me know.

With Server 2003 you have to recreate the account as well. If you try to join it with the same Computer name it won't work, at least won't be able to access the Domain

Unless you are not joining the Default Computer OU and have less restrictive GPO for the OU container

You can from the command line reset a computer account with the DSMOD command, or using MMC snap in and reset the computer account to issue a new GUID

Good for upgrades or when you replace a machine but want to keep all memberships the same

Good to know, thanks for the info

We have just started our 2003 migration, so I am sure that will be used along the way smile

studying for my 70-290 test laugh

I really like the command line tools

Great for solving problems remotely