Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
areid

USB modem disconnection problem

I am using a Hayes Accura ISDN terminal adapter connected to my laptop via a USB port. When I want to disconnect the modem, because I am using XP pro, I cannot simply unplug the modem from the USB port without getting the famous blue-screen-of-death (BSOD) and having to reset the pc.

The 'correct' way is to 'safely' disconnect the modem via an icon in the icon tray, but I always get the message "The device USB ISDN TA128 CE cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it." As far as I can see there are no services or programs in the task manager using the modem. Is there any way of being able to see what programs are using the device, or is the error message misleading?

Alternatively, is there any other way of disconnecting the modem without getting the BSOD (incidentally the message is "Multiple IRP Complete Requests")?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan

You've written here about this before. See if this will work. Do the following:

To unplug or eject devices

Open Add/Remove Hardware in Control Panel.

Click Next, click Uninstall/Unplug a device, and then click Next.

Click Unplug/Eject a device, and then click Next.

Select the device you want to unplug or eject, and then click Next.

Click Next to confirm that you want the device unplugged or ejected.

Click Finish.

If the little icon appears, double click it. There is a box below that you can check to have it appear everytime it sees this device. Click on Stop, remove the device, then click OK, then close.

Sampson, thanks for the reply.

>>You've written here about this before.<<

I've written about other problems with this modem before (eg. not working properly on the same pc as a 56k modem), but not this particular problem.

>> Add/Remove Hardware in Control Panel.<<

With my version of XP Pro (SP1) there is only an option to add hardware in the control panel, not remove hardware. To unplug the device I have to double-click on the icon in the icon tray, but when I try to stop the device before unplugging, I get the "in use by another program" message.

Regards,

Alan

Sampson, thanks for the reply.

>>...you should be able to select your device and stop it. ...Does your system not have an icon showing?<<

I do have the icon showing. I double-click on it, then click on 'Stop', then on OK to confirm, then I get the "in use by another program" message, although I am sure there are no programs using the modem.

Regards,

Alan

You are supposed to disconnect after you click on Stop but before you click on OK. After you've disconnected, then click OK.