Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acidtwin

Problem with the hard drive movie/clone

Refer to: http://www.ntcompatible.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26008

I did it the clone, E:\ to C:\ - boot.ini and of course the boot sector was lost.

It also re-sized my hard drive to 10gig (as E:\ was) but in partition magic it showed it as 30gig....

Anyway, when rebooting, i got something like "ntldir cannot be detected" or something, i cant remember offhand (having to write this from college)....

Any ideas on what to do?

I did go into the repair cons and do a fixmbr but that didnt help....

I'm going to reinstall XP onto C:\ and then have a go at it again, but i need another working way :P

Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks a lot!

-Acid

ntldr is what makes xp and other nt's bootyou can see the file in your root directory. As for how to get it working again i am not sure since i would have sugested the mbr thing that you allready did.

What if i installed XP on C:\ fresh, copied that file along with the boot.ini to my backup/program file hard drive, then copy it back over to c:\ after i clone?

Think it would work? smile

-acid

in the console you should also try "fixboot"

"fixmbr" just does the master boot record, "fixboot" does the initial boot files.

Yeah i did that, i did that first then fixmbr, and still ntldir error or something of the sort.... very fustrating... i am considering copying over the ntloader and stuff after i do the clone.... i wish i know what files exactly are the boot files required