Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ross_aveling

CPU Temperature Advice

Hi all,

Having just built a new machine, I’d like any of you pros out there to shed some light on temperature issues.

The machine has a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz running on an 800Mhz bus (not overclocked). I’m using the stock Intel fansink supplied with the chip and it idles around 45C for most of the time. I’ve noticed that when I’m running an intensive game like RTCW the temperature usually shoots up to 55C (the highest I’ve seen it at is 58C). Is this temperature generally okay?

I’ve thought about changing the fansink for a flashier one - or at least applying some thermal paste - but as long as the CPU is ‘comfortable’ at this temperature I’m inclined to leave it as it is.

I’d just hate to think what HL2 will do to the temperature though! smile

Many Thanks

Ross

Those are pretty normal temperatures for that machine. Remember that the Pentium IV's do throttle back if the temperatures go to high.

Ugh!

Ross, are you seriously saying you're not using any form of thermal paste or thermal pad between the base of the heatsink and the CPU? Surely not!

You cannot expect the heatsink to efficiently conduct away the heat from the CPU unless it's helped with a film of heat-conducting paste or similar. There'll be minor air gaps between the heatsink and CPU. If there's no paste or pad there, you run the risk of your CPU overheating.

That said, the quiescent temperature you've quoted, and the higher temperature, are all very reasonable.

How are you measuring those temperatures? Those given in your System BIOS are probably the most accurate. Don't rely on utilities like SiSoft Sandra; the figures can be wildly out.

The maximum temperature tolerated by a P4 is in excess of 75C but around that region the CPU might well shut down. It's best to maintain the temperature below 60C (obviously, the lower the better), as the useful life of a P4 is said to be directly proportional to the temperature at which it's operated.

My 1.8GHz P4 is cooled by a Zalman low-noise ducted cooler (EMPLOYING THERMAL PASTE) and even in the height of the recent summer, the CPU temperature never rose beyond 53C.

Cheers for the replies guys; you've put my mind at ease.

I'm using an ABit IS7 with the WinDoctor software. I've noticed that the BIOS can show a degree or two difference to WinDoctor but the're usually around the same mark.

Packman - sorry should have mentioned that I'm using the wax pad that came with the Intel heatsink. I've read that it's not as good as proper thermal paste but it's a b***h to remove apparently. I was only going to ever consider changing it if the temps were too high.

Thanks again.

the cool thing is that if the temp is really too high the intel will shut itself down. no worries

(my xeons run at 55-60 when they are loaded.)

the case makes a difference too.. not nessesary to goto exremes like me, (total of 10 fans in case) but at 3.2ghz same cpu (overclocked of course) gets up to 45 celcius, when being maxed out. using the original cooler supplied by intel. wink

when i get my rig in my sig, (any day now), il take the thermal pad off, and apply some thermal grease, as it is MUCH better conductor of heat.

go spend $30 on a decent 5000RPM heat sinkl and $5 on some good thermal grease - those wax pads are crap - and the hotter u run your CPU - the faster are going to wera it out - but then again they last like that for liek 10 years smile

i got 2 2.4's onis a400mhz fsb and the otehr 533 - both i can get up to 2.4 - may main one using thermal take fan which hits 6800RPM on hi keep my cpu under MAX load around 48C

my other system is water cooled - and it runs around around 51..lol - but i do not have the rad and fans set up roght so redoing it all.