Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
acidtwin

Moving an OS Intallation

Hola, hopeing someone can help me with this smile

I wanted to test XP, so i created a partition, installed it etc. etc. - VERY happy with it, i have it set up nicely, runs smooth and fast, Cubase and other programs i use run beautifully....

Now, i have most applications and games installed on my D: Drive (XP is on E, 2k is on the main, C:\)

However, id like to move my XP over to the main hard drive, of course i cant format it and copy the partion to the hard drive as the boot sector is on the c:.

Some advice i was given was to either create an image of E and then restore that image to C (again no boot sector?)

or use Norton Ghost to clone the partion to the C: drive, but again there would be no boot sector, right? Altho i was told i could do this, then put my XP boot cd in and restore the boot sector? not sure how tho! :P

The reason i want to copy it over is i dont want to loose my settings, applications,i dont want to be reinstalling them all, i dont have CDs for some of them now etc etc.

Can anyone give me a solid answer on how to do this safely pleaseeeeeeeee???

Thanks a lot smile

-Acid

How does that differ from Norton Ghost? :P

And, Drive Image or Drive Copy from Powerquest?

AND, would it make a boot sector? remember i am "cloneing" a partition, from drive E, which has no boot sector....

-Acid

OK working from memory here but I think after doing a ghost/drive image/whatever you boot from the cd into a repair console and type fixmbr. This is like the fdisk /mbr command for 9x but will install the mbr for NT/2k/xp/2k3.

Cool thanks - do you think it will re-size my hard drive as its cloneing 10 gig to a 30gig?

Also, any other tips, hints, programs anything? id be greatful, just worried dont wanna mess up :P

thanks a lot!

-Acid